Re: Dodds.

  • Tommer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2009
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "veniero_molari" <simplex@...>
      wrote:

      > At the end of the Twenties,the major record producers were usin for
      > their sleeves subjects showing connections with famous and
      > representative personnages:Brunswick used for their RACE RECORD
      series
      > an elaborate cover.in which 5 pointed star allowed to show in four
      > medallions the most famous Negro stars:DOLLY ROSS,JOHNNY DODDS,
      > PAGE JUBILEE SINGERS,REV.S.J.WORELL.
      > Was it that Brunswick had at hand "only" those people,or were they
      > considered the best? All that said,one of the reasons why Dodds
      > obtained such a success is that he used an Albert system
      clarinet,WITH
      > LESS METAL than the more advanced clarinets used by many white
      > musicians,enabling him to express fully his "pathos" and
      transmitting
      > to listeners the emotion that only the great singers were capable to
      > communicate.
      > I hope that this consideration may open more serious discussions
      about
      > the music played in N.O. BEFORE the ivention of jazz.Thanks for
      > attention anf for your devotion to good jazz music,Veniero Molari

      The 1920's were a different era than the description modernists like
      Andre Hodier were later trying to show. Dodds was a great Blues
      clarinet player that could play in any style. He did recordings with
      guys as Jazz great like Louis and Morton, and with Blues players like
      Blind Blake. I believe he was very much known in circles of Hot Jazz.
      Was there anyone playing better Blues on a clarinet?
      Tommer