YouTube - Ozzie Nelson Orchestra - It's Gonna Be You (1932)

  • Duncan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2009
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIIeBo8_JRM

      Oswald George "Ozzie" Nelson (March 20,1906 - June 3,1975) was an American
      entertainer who originated and starred in The Adventures of Ozzie and
      Harriet radio and television series with his wife and two sons.

      Ozzie started his entertainment career as a band leader. He formed and led
      the Ozzie Nelson Band, and had some initial limited success. He made his own
      'big break' in 1930. The New York Daily Mirror ran a poll of its readers to
      determine their favorite band. He knew that news vendors got credit from the
      newspaper for unsold copies by returning the front page and discarding the
      rest of the issue. Gathering hundreds of discarded newspapers, the band
      filled out ballots in their favor. They edged out Paul Whiteman and were
      pronounced the winners. From 1930 through the 1940s Nelson's band recorded
      prolifically—first on Brunswick, then Vocalion and finally Bluebird. In 1934
      Nelson enjoyed success with his hit song, "Over Somebody Else's Shoulder"
      which he introduced. Nelson was their primary vocalist (and from August,
      1932) duets with Harriet Hilliard. Nelson's calm, easy vocal style was
      popular on records and radio and quite similar to son Rick's voice.

      In October 1935 he married the band's vocalist Harriet Hilliard. The couple
      had two children. David, born in 1936, became an actor and director. Eric
      ("Ricky"), born in 1940, became an actor and singer.

      Ozzie Nelson Orch (Ozzie Nelson & Harriet Hilyard vocal) - It's Gonna Be You
      (1932)
    • Roberta Dehlinger
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 30, 2009
        Hi Duncan!

        Thanks for the info about Ozzie's Band!

        Be nice is we could download some sides now??

        Robbi Dehlinger

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2009
          Robbi,
          If you follow the link to youtube.com, there're several cuts there by Ozzie
          and Wife and Wife by herself......; what more could you want?!

          Duncan

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2009
            Hi!

            Thanks for the link, it is appreciated:)

            I just figured since we have so many downloaded sides on the site that maybe we could download some of his, along with adding him to the band list?

            Take care!

            Robbi

            ________________________________
[...]

          • Dan Van Landingham
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
              The recording I referred to was Nelson's 1938 Bluebird recording "Says My Heart" with a
              Harriet Hilliard vocal.I can't see the resemblence to Bea Wain.Harriet Hilliard reminded
              me more of an ex Bunny Berigan and Glenn Miller singer named Gail Reese.Reese cut a
              number of sides on Victor with Berigan(late 1937 to early March 1938)and on Brunswick
              with Miller of Why'd Ya Make Me Fall in Love),"Says My Heart" was reissued years ago
              by Reader's Digest in a ten record set called "The Great Band Era".I have a few copies
              of the whole ten record set.

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
                That's a great thumbnail bio on Ozzie Nelson;thanks for the info.Ricky Nelson was exactly
                11 years older than me(we were both born on 8 May).

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
                  Hi!

                  I guess it is because they both had that sensuous "femme fatale" voice??

                  JMHO

                  Robbi