Dodds.

  • veniero_molari
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 27, 2009
      At the end of the Twenties,the major record producers were usin for
      their sleeves subjects showing connections with famous and
      representative personnages:Brunswick used for their RACE RECORD series
      an elaborate cover.in which 5 pointed star allowed to show in four
      medallions the most famous Negro stars:DOLLY ROSS,JOHNNY DODDS,
      PAGE JUBILEE SINGERS,REV.S.J.WORELL.
      Was it that Brunswick had at hand "only" those people,or were they
      considered the best? All that said,one of the reasons why Dodds
      obtained such a success is that he used an Albert system clarinet,WITH
      LESS METAL than the more advanced clarinets used by many white
      musicians,enabling him to express fully his "pathos" and transmitting
      to listeners the emotion that only the great singers were capable to
      communicate.
      I hope that this consideration may open more serious discussions about
      the music played in N.O. BEFORE the ivention of jazz.Thanks for
      attention anf for your devotion to good jazz music,Veniero Molari
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2009
        Dodds was that popular ? Does anybody know how many such Race Records sold
        ?

        Albert/Boehm we have done here. Search the archive with Boehm.

        The superiority in tone of the Albert is probably a myth, the bore size is
        the factor and old Alberts often had larger bore.

        Most of the N.O. players used Albert probably because they were more readily
        and cheaply available.

        Albert Nicholas, possessor of maybe the most beautiful clarinet tone of all,
        used Boehm.

        Always open to serious discussion.

      • levi.marco@libero.it
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 30, 2009
          > Veniero, I don't think Jazz should be defined as an "invention", like a toothbrush or an anti-flea lotion to clean dogs; Jazz is, in my opinion, a language of music born from the right union between different musical experiences. ;O) Marco Levi
        • Tommer
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 30, 2009
            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "veniero_molari" <simplex@...>
            wrote:

            > At the end of the Twenties,the major record producers were usin for
            > their sleeves subjects showing connections with famous and
            > representative personnages:Brunswick used for their RACE RECORD
            series
            > an elaborate cover.in which 5 pointed star allowed to show in four
            > medallions the most famous Negro stars:DOLLY ROSS,JOHNNY DODDS,
            > PAGE JUBILEE SINGERS,REV.S.J.WORELL.
            > Was it that Brunswick had at hand "only" those people,or were they
            > considered the best? All that said,one of the reasons why Dodds
            > obtained such a success is that he used an Albert system
            clarinet,WITH
            > LESS METAL than the more advanced clarinets used by many white
            > musicians,enabling him to express fully his "pathos" and
            transmitting
            > to listeners the emotion that only the great singers were capable to
            > communicate.
            > I hope that this consideration may open more serious discussions
            about
            > the music played in N.O. BEFORE the ivention of jazz.Thanks for
            > attention anf for your devotion to good jazz music,Veniero Molari

            The 1920's were a different era than the description modernists like
            Andre Hodier were later trying to show. Dodds was a great Blues
            clarinet player that could play in any style. He did recordings with
            guys as Jazz great like Louis and Morton, and with Blues players like
            Blind Blake. I believe he was very much known in circles of Hot Jazz.
            Was there anyone playing better Blues on a clarinet?
            Tommer