Ozzie Nelson

  • Roberta Dehlinger
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2009
      Hi gang!

      Sure should come here more often, so much going on!

      Soooo, a question: I notuice that Ozzie Nelson and his Orchestra are
      not in our archives.

      Is this because he is better known for his radio and tv work or his
      famous son RIcky? Or is theri some parameter that he does not fit.

      I have his cut of the song "Once In A While" on Bluebird and not only
      was he an excellent trumpeter, but Harriet Hilliard was a grest Bea
      Wain-ish vocaist. I also have on CD his band doing the song "They
      Can't Take That Away From Me.' with Ozzie doing the vical.

      Also have a picture of him and Harriet dating from the 30's and what
      a handsome young man and strikingly lovely lady!

      Cheers!

      Robbi Dehlinger
    • Dan Van Landingham
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2009
        I remember watching Ozzie and Harriet Nelson on tv roughly fifty years ago and I never
        heard of him playing trumpet.The trumpeter was Bo Ashford,a Bix styled trumpeter.He
        had a brother named Bob Ashford also a trumpeter.The only record I ever heard that
        featured Ashford who was rather boring.The baritone saxophonist had a more interest-
        ing solo.I also read that Nelson was a banjoist.On a sitcom called "The Mothers in
        Law" starring Eve Arden and Kay Medford,from the middle to late sixties,Nelson had a
        bit part playing an alto saxophonist-bandleader named "Owen Sinclair" who was also
        known as Ossie Snick.Prior to Nelson's stint as an RCA artist,he was on Brunswick in
        the early thirties.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2009
          Hi agian!

          The picture on the album I have shows him holding a trumpet, so I guess I ASSUMED he could play the darn thing??

          There is another episode which I have on DVD where Ozzie plays the banjo as part of a Women's Club Benefit?

          Robbi

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
            Charlie Buebeck was the baritone saxophonist for the Ozzie Nelson band, and gave it much
            of its distinctive tone, although the arrangements, particularly in the late '30s, were
            remarkably rich. It wasn't a red-hot jazz band by any means, but a particularly good dance
            band. Among my favorite recordings by the Nelson group are "The Folks Who Live on the
            Hill" and "You Can't Run Away from Love Tonight."
          • David Weiner
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
              Charlie Buebeck was the baritone saxophonist for the Ozzie Nelson band, and
              gave it much
              of its distinctive tone, although the arrangements, particularly in the late
              '30s, were
              remarkably rich. It wasn't a red-hot jazz band by any means, but a
              particularly good dance
              band. Among my favorite recordings by the Nelson group are "The Folks Who
              Live on the
              Hill" and "You Can't Run Away from Love Tonight."

              And "Says My Heart."