Re: Willie Joseph

    Message 1 of 48 , Jan 26, 2009
      There is surprisingly little in books on Joseph, but there is a brief
      mention of him in a book based on Bill Russell's files. Lawrence Duhé
      seems to describe Willie (only mentioned as Kaiser) as one of the
      early formative clarinetists, so he just might be the source for
      Dodds: "Now as for the early clarinet players I heard. Willie Warner,
      Zeb Lenares and "Kaiser" were all top men, but Big Eye Louis was *the*
      clarinet man in New Orleans in those times". (New Orleans Style, p.
      215) Bill Russell was definitely aware of Joseph since he was in
      contact with both Ann Cook and Louis Dumaine in about 1943.

      It would be interesting to know if there's more in Bill Russell's
      files in the Historic New Orleans Collection - anyone know?
    • levi.marco@libero.it
      Message 48 of 48 , Mar 2, 2009