Re: Willie Joseph

  • Robert Greenwood
    Message 1 of 48 , Jan 23, 2009
      I'm not sure that any of the New Orleans men would have appreciated
      hearing their styles described as "rough."
      Willie Joseph or Emile Barnes may have been "close in style" to
      Dodds, but that does not mean that the "influence" necessarily came
      from Dodds.

      Robert Greenwood

      > Thanks to all.
      >
      > An, albeit, speculative 1892 would make him exact contemporary of
      Dodds and Emile Barnes.

      > He is surely the N.O. player closest in style to Dodds whose
      greatest influence was in Chicago and not N.O. which he left in 1919.

      > Or can anyone find another candidate ?
      >
      > Can Joseph be heard as evidence of a pre-Dodds existent 'rough'
      N.O. clarinet style ?

    • levi.marco@libero.it
      Message 48 of 48 , Mar 2, 2009