Re: 'Red Hot Jazz Archive' .ram files in Linux

  • velostigmat
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 21, 2009
      Hi:

      I am also a Mandriva user, and it didn't work for me either so I
      downloaded Ubuntu 8.10 and the Mplayer and they play fine under
      Ubuntu, but not Mandriva.

      You can install Ubuntu 8.10 on your machine in a dual-boot
      configuration, preserving Mandriva.

      Ask me any questions if you want to try this

      Barry

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "m_nease" <m_nease@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I'm unable to play the .ram files at Scott Alexander's incredible Red
      > Hot Jazz Archive via my Linux (Ubuntu 8.04) OS. When I click on a
      > link I receive the error message, "The content you are trying to play
      > uses an audio codec (DNET) that is obsolete and no longer supported.
      > Please contact the content provider about using a supported codec."
      >
      > I've searched the messages here for '.ram files' and 'Linux' but to no
      > avail. I'd be most grateful for any advice.
      >
      > Thanks in Advance,
      >
      > mike

    • m. nease
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 22, 2009
        Hi Barry,

        Interesting!  Did you paste the link to the .ram file into Mplayer?  I don't think that will work in Ubuntu 8.04LTS but I'll seriously consider the dual-boot option with  8.10 if it worked for you and post the results here.  Thanks very much for the tip!

        mike

        p.s.  When I pasted the location of the link into Mplayer I receive this error message:
        "The playback of this movie requires a PNM protocol source plugin which is not installed."

        Mean anything to you?  Thanks again and in advance.

      • bigbeark@rogers.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 23, 2009
          Mike:

             The plugin needed is actaully the "Mozilla-Mplayer" plug-in. I selected this from the Ubuntu Application download.

          Perhaps Mandriva has the same thing. You might try Updating your Mandriva software. You click on the Icon on the bottom taskbar, log in as ROOT using your password then click on Update Software Icon. There are two Icons, one downloads all the updates, the other lets you select updates.
          Try the single updates first, if still no go, try the full download - it takes 20 minutes or so.

          If you find  "Mozilla Mplayer" that's what you want. Be sure to select all the Mplayer updates to ensure it works.

          I'm Not handy to my Linux machines at the moment, but will be later this evening, so email me if this doesnt work for you

          Ubuntu is a very slow download - about 2 hours, and is much more sensitive to a faulty CD burner than Mandriva. Burning the ISO was also slow for me.
          By contrast you can burn the Mandriva ISO with almost any Burner and Burning Application. For Ubuntu, I use K3B to burn the ISO, Nero doesn't work. Yet I successfully used Nero to burn my originall copy of Mandriva.

                  Barry

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 24, 2009