The Gilt-Edged Four.

  • sofiztykat
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 30, 2008
      This British quartet recorded in 1925 and 1926 on British Columbia and
      featured brilliant guitar player, Len Fillis. Their recordings are
      listed in Rust. I own two 78s by this band which are hot. Are they
      jazz, that is the question? Unfortunately, these recordings are in
      store in England and I do not have access to them. Also, I haven't
      played them for years but from memory they are certainly much closer
      in spirit to jazz than several of the bands listed on the
      www.redhotjazz.com website some of which have a very tenuous relation
      to jazz in my opinion. Back when one could ask BBC radio to play
      requests and when, incidentally Brian Rust was still head of the BBC
      record library, I regularly wrote to them requesting one of their
      recordings to be played. It never happened though they certainly had
      all their recordings in the library.
      I would be interested to know who else knows the work of this band and
      what you think of them
      As a newbie to the site, I have to congratulate all those involved in
      its construction. It's quite an amazing site. Thanks for making it happen.
      Peter Campbell.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 17 10:20 AM
        > Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 10:17 PM

        Gulp!

        Yahoo has fits of hiccough on some groups, sending three or four copies of
        the same mail, but here it seems to have ignored several "pending" messages
        for a while, which I only discovered while visiting the webpage for a quick
        check. Sorry about this!

        Patrice
      • Pavel Pitra
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 23 12:51 AM
          Hi Peter and all,

          the only tune recorded by The Gilt Edged Four
          that I have is Yiddisher Charleston (Col 4311) on
          the Frémeaux CD (FA 025) "Yiddish 1910-1940". A
          great hot recording, although the Nathan Glanz
          version (e.g. on "From Avenue A to the Great
          White Way: Yiddish & American Popular Songs"
          (Columbia CD 86323) is probably better. I
          definitely would describe this as jazz, or at
          least hot dance. I would love to have more
          recordings by this band, but have unfortunately
          never come accross any others...

          All the best, and a very good new year to everyone!

          Cheers, Pavel
        • Mordechai Litzman
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 23 9:57 AM
            Found two more recordings by The Gilt Edged Four on YouTube (as well as the one you mentioned). Both recordings feature the band accompanying singers. Hope this helps.

            If my sweetie came back to you
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgCrj5rT8LA

            Glad Rag Doll
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDW6Ix2c3xk

            Yiddisher Charleston
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDW6Ix2c3xk

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 23 10:23 AM
              The URL for Charleston does not paste in for some reason, so just go to YouTube and type in Yiddisher Charleston and it will play.