Re: Tommy Gott in ancestry.com

  • Albert Haim
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2008
      Two pieces of information must be reconciled.

      Rayno tells us that Tommy Gott toured Europe with Gaby Deslys.
      Gott tells us that he was in France 1918-1920 with the AEF,

      I wonder if enlisted men would not see action but, as musicians, would
      entertain troops.

      Additional relevant information.

      - According to IMDB Gaby Deslys was a spy for the French governement
      during WWI.
      - Gaby Deslys died in Feb 1920 after 8 or 9 throat operations.

      Did Tommy Gott come back to the US in 1920? The figure 1920 in his
      passport application is written over what appears to be 1919 and then
      1920 written above again. Tommy's first recording sesssion was in Jan
      or Fe 1920 with a group led by Vincent Lopez.

      I'll try to get a copy of "Gaby Deslys, A Fatal Attraction" by James
      Gardiner.

      Albert
      Gaby Deslys was very beautiful. Take a look at 14 of her photos.
      http://www.fanpix.net/gallery/gaby-deslys-pictures.htm
      She appeared on Broadway in several shows between 1911 and 1917. Al
      Jolson and Mae West were in the cast of one of her shows,

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Albert Haim" <alberthaim@...> wrote:

      > I got (no pun intended) good information about Tommy Gott.
      >
      > Tommy Gott's given names were Arlan Thomas, not Thomas Arlan. But by
      > the 1940s he was Thomas Arlan. The evidence.
      >
      > 1. World War I Registration Card. June 5, 1917.
      > Arlan Thomas Gott, born March 2, 1895 in Waveland, IN. Resides in
      > Kentland, IN. Railroad telephone operator for New York Central Railway
      > Co in Schneider IN.
      >
      > 2. 1900 US Census, Walnut, Montgomery, IN. Arlan [misspelled as Dolan]
      > Gott, age 6 [this is in error; he was 5], resides in New Ross Town,
      > Montgomery, IN with father Stephen, mother Kate, sister Audra and
      > brothers Neil and Frederick.
      >
      > 3. Application for passport, Feb 27, 1923. Arlan Tomas Gott. Born Mar
      > 2, 1895 in Waveland IN, occupation musician, living at 9 West 97th St,
      > New York, New York. Indicater\s that he will go to England on March 3,
      > 1923 on the SS President Harding, theatrical business for Paul Whiteman.
      >
      > 4. New York Passenger lists. SS Leviathan, sailing from Cherbourg Aug
      > 7, 1923, arriving in New York Aug 13, 1923. Sailing with Arlan Gott
      > were wife Anna, Paul and Mildred Whiteman, and J. Ross Gorman and wife
      > and child.
      >
      > The World War II reeistration card gives the name Thomas Arlan Gott.
      >
      > An interesting piece of information. In his application for a
      > passport, Tommy Gott states that he was in France from 1918 to 1920 in
      > the A.E.F, which stands for American Expeditionary Force, the United
      > States military force sent to Europe in World War I.
      >
      > If scans of the documents are needed, I'll be happy to provide.
      >
      > Albert

    • Albert Haim
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2009
        From the New York Times radio listings.

        "Tommy Gott's Orchestra" had broadcasts over WHN at 11:30 pm on Dec 5,
        19, 23, 26, 1927 and on Han 9, 1928. "Tommy Gott's Silver Slipper
        Orchestra" had a broadcast over WHN on Aug 19, 1928.

        Evidently, Gott had his own band in late 1927-1928. His first
        recording under his own name (Tom Gott and His Rose Room Orchestra)
        was on Nov 9, 1928. According to a very interesting article by David
        Wilken about the evolution of the trombone,

        http://www.trombone.org/articles/library/evojazz2.asp

        Jack Teagarden joined the Tommy Gott band before joining the Ben
        Pollack band. Teagarden was with Gott's band for about two months,
        probably April, May 1928.

        The first recording session of Tommy Gott took place, according to
        Rust, on Jan 9, 1920 with Lopez ahd Hamilton's Kings of Harmony
        Orchestra. However, Ate van Elden in his discographical ramblings

        http://www.vjm.biz/ramblings.htm

        reports the following,
        "VINCENT LOPEZ / TOMMY GOTT / BOB EFFROS
        Mark Berresford notes that Tommy Gott is still shown in JR6 as the
        trumpeter on the Lopez & Hamilton's Kings of Harmony sides, despite
        Bob Effros' assertion in Record Research of Sept/Oct 1959 that it was
        he on these sides. Effros gave the following personnel: Effros, t;
        Harold Gieser, tb; Bill (Effros remembered him as 'Andy') Hamilton,
        cl; Lopez, p, Eddie Scherer, d. (Note correct spellings of drummer's
        and trombonist's surnames, verified by the 1929 AFofM Directory).
        However, an advertisement for Vincent Lopez and His Kings of Harmony,
        with Pat Rooney and Marion Bent's vaudeville act, in the New York
        Clipper of July 16, 1920 quotes the personnel in Rust! Was Effros
        mistaken? Or did the personnel change in between the Edison sessions
        and the Clipper advert?"

        There are lots of recordings featuring Tommy Gott in the Jazz Oracle
        CD "Dime Store Hot Dance,' BDW 8023.

        Albert