Tommy Gott

  • silverleafjb
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 21, 2008
      I've recently become fascinated with the work of trumpeter Tommy Gott.
      Anybody have any info on him other than in the "usual sources?" (i.e.,
      Lord, Rust, Chilton.) His playing is very interesting, especially on
      "Puttin' on the Dog" by the Six Jelly Beans.

      Cheers and Happy Holidays,
      Chris
    • Fredrik Tersmeden
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 22, 2008
        Since Gott was a member of Paul Whiteman's orchestra in the early
        1920s there ought to be a at least a brief biography on him in the
        biographical appendix to Dan Rayno's recent book on Whiteman.

        Fredrik
      • Mordechai Litzman
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 22, 2008
          Tommy Gott is listed as a band member on a number of recordings from 1920's, but the RHJA does not list which recordings he participates in. Anyhow, perhaps this listing is of some help:

          Six Black DiamondsJay C. Flippen and his GangRoger Wolfe Kahn and his OrchestraRoger Wolfe Kahn and his Hotel Biltmore OrchestraLopez and Hamilton's Kings of Harmony OrchestraJoe Candullo and his Everglades OrchestraClub Royal OrchestraThe VirginiansThe Broadway Bell-Hops

        • Albert Haim
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 22, 2008
            Indeed, Don Rayno provides the following information.

            "Thomas Arlan "Tommy" Gott, b Mar 2, 1895, IN; d Jan 3, 1965, San
            Joaquin County, CA, trumpet player. Was a top New York session
            musician who toured Europe with Gaby Deslys and her American Military
            Review musical during World War I. Gott played on hundreds of
            recordings, many of these for Sam Lanin, Ben Selvin, and Harry Reser
            studio bands. Some of the other ensembles and band leaders he recorded
            with were: Bailey's Lucky Seven, Broadway Bellhops, California
            Ramblers, Joe Candullo, Club Royal Orchestra, Zez Confrey, Clyde
            Doerr, Roger Wolfe Kahn, Arhtur Lange, Sam Lanin, Vincent Lopez, Okeh
            Syncopators, Harry Reser, Freddy Rich, Ben Selvin, Nat Shilkret, Six
            Jumping Jacks, Ted Wallace, and Bill Wirges. Gott was with the
            Whiteman Orchestra from July 1921 to August 1923. The True-Tone
            journal described Gott's playing in this way. 'A powerful, lilting
            lip, scales high F with no effort, gets a flowing tone and excels in
            the lace tonal embroidery with which Whiteman embellishes all themes.'
            He fronted his own band in the late 1920s and early 1930s."

            Albert

            PS We had some references to Tommy Gott in the Bixography Forum, but
            nothing biographical.
            Next time I go to the library I will look Tommy Gott in ancestry.com.
            Since he was born in 1895, he must have registered for the WW I draft
            and there should be a draft card with information.

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik Tersmeden"
            <fredrik.tersmeden@...> wrote:

            > Since Gott was a member of Paul Whiteman's orchestra in the early
            > 1920s there ought to be a at least a brief biography on him in the
            > biographical appendix to Dan Rayno's recent book on Whiteman.
            >
            > Fredrik

          • Randy Skretvedt
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 22, 2008
              I've always thought of Tommy Gott as primarily being part of the Harry Reser band in the
              mid-to-late Twenties; Reser kept him very, very busy in the recording studios. He
              certainly gives a drive to that group in the "Six Jumping Jacks" discs for Brunswick, as well
              as their records under different names for other labels. I know that he rejoined Whiteman
              for a Capitol session in the early '40s ("San" was one of the titles, using the arrangement
              recorded during Bix's tenure) and he was still very powerful and creative.

              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Albert Haim" <alberthaim@...> wrote:

              > Indeed, Don Rayno provides the following information.
              >
              > "Thomas Arlan "Tommy" Gott, b Mar 2, 1895, IN; d Jan 3, 1965, San
              > Joaquin County, CA, trumpet player. Was a top New York session
              > musician who toured Europe with Gaby Deslys and her American Military
              > Review musical during World War I. Gott played on hundreds of
              > recordings, many of these for Sam Lanin, Ben Selvin, and Harry Reser
              > studio bands. Some of the other ensembles and band leaders he recorded
              > with were: Bailey's Lucky Seven, Broadway Bellhops, California
              > Ramblers, Joe Candullo, Club Royal Orchestra, Zez Confrey, Clyde
              > Doerr, Roger Wolfe Kahn, Arhtur Lange, Sam Lanin, Vincent Lopez, Okeh
              > Syncopators, Harry Reser, Freddy Rich, Ben Selvin, Nat Shilkret, Six
              > Jumping Jacks, Ted Wallace, and Bill Wirges. Gott was with the
              > Whiteman Orchestra from July 1921 to August 1923. The True-Tone
              > journal described Gott's playing in this way. 'A powerful, lilting
              > lip, scales high F with no effort, gets a flowing tone and excels in
              > the lace tonal embroidery with which Whiteman embellishes all themes.'
              > He fronted his own band in the late 1920s and early 1930s."
              >
              > Albert
              >
              > PS We had some references to Tommy Gott in the Bixography Forum, but
              > nothing biographical.
              > Next time I go to the library I will look Tommy Gott in ancestry.com.
              > Since he was born in 1895, he must have registered for the WW I draft
              > and there should be a draft card with information.
              >

              > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik Tersmeden"
              > <fredrik.tersmeden@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Since Gott was a member of Paul Whiteman's orchestra in the early
              > > 1920s there ought to be a at least a brief biography on him in the
              > > biographical appendix to Dan Rayno's recent book on Whiteman.
              > >
              > > Fredrik

            • Dan Van Landingham
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 22, 2008
                I had one old Brunswick 80 rpm recording by the Six Jumping Jacks a  number of years
                ago.Is this Paul Whiteman bio in print?I had a number of Whiteman Victors starting
                beginning with "I'll Build a Stairway to Paradise" from 1922.I remember being impressed
                with Henry Busse's trumpet solo(I was around nine or ten when I first heard this record.I
                had yet to discover Bix(I discovered his work in the very late '60s thru the early '70s;I
                remember hearing the Whiteman recording of "Paradise" in the early '60s.Aside from
                reading about Whiteman back in 1978(Bix Man and Legend).I have no other books about
                him.I did have a Capitol 78 of "Trav'lin' Light" with Billie Holiday plus another Capitol of
                his band on "Kalamazoo".I was in possession of his 1956 Command 2 record set cele-
                brating his fifty years as a violinist and bandleader.I was also in possession of a record
                of "Rhapsody  in Blue" on a Signature 12 inch 78.
                I've always thought of Tommy Gott as primarily being part of the Harry Reser band in the
                mid-to-late Twenties; Reser kept him very, very busy in the recording studios. He
                certainly gives a drive to that group in the "Six Jumping Jacks" discs for Brunswick, as well
                as their records under different names for other labels. I know that he rejoined Whiteman
                for a Capitol session in the early '40s ("San" was one of the titles, using the arrangement
                recorded during Bix's tenure) and he was still very powerful and creative.

                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, "Albert Haim" <alberthaim@ ...> wrote:

                > Indeed, Don Rayno provides the following information.
                >
                > "Thomas Arlan "Tommy" Gott, b Mar 2, 1895, IN; d Jan 3, 1965, San
                > Joaquin County, CA, trumpet player. Was a top New York session
                > musician who toured Europe with Gaby Deslys and her American Military
                > Review musical during World War I. Gott played on hundreds of
                > recordings, many of these for Sam Lanin, Ben Selvin, and Harry Reser
                > studio bands. Some of the other ensembles and band leaders he recorded
                > with were: Bailey's Lucky Seven, Broadway Bellhops, California
                > Ramblers, Joe Candullo, Club Royal Orchestra, Zez Confrey, Clyde
                > Doerr, Roger Wolfe Kahn, Arhtur Lange, Sam Lanin, Vincent Lopez, Okeh
                > Syncopators, Harry Reser, Freddy Rich, Ben Selvin, Nat Shilkret, Six
                > Jumping Jacks, Ted Wallace, and Bill Wirges. Gott was with the
                > Whiteman Orchestra from July 1921 to August 1923. The True-Tone
                > journal described Gott's playing in this way. 'A powerful, lilting
                > lip, scales high F with no effort, gets a flowing tone and excels in
                > the lace tonal embroidery with which Whiteman embellishes all themes.'
                > He fronted his own band in the late 1920s and early 1930s."
                >
                > Albert
                >
                > PS We had some references to Tommy Gott in the Bixography Forum, but
                > nothing biographical.
                > Next time I go to the library I will look Tommy Gott in ancestry.com.
                > Since he was born in 1895, he must have registered for the WW I draft
                > and there should be a draft card with information.
                >

                > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, "Fredrik Tersmeden"
                > <fredrik.tersmeden@ > wrote:
                > >
                > > Since Gott was a member of Paul Whiteman's orchestra in the early
                > > 1920s there ought to be a at least a brief biography on him in the
                > > biographical appendix to Dan Rayno's recent book on Whiteman.
                > >
                > > Fredrik

              • silverleafjb
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 22, 2008
                  Thanks, Albert, that's a great help.

                  I've been listening a lot to Radio Dismuke lately and hear Gott's
                  playing on a lot of sides. It's very distinctive and unlike other
                  trumpeters of the late-20s, early-30s.

                  Cheers,
                  Chris Tyle