trumpet solo on Hill's "Passionette" (from my earlier e mail re: Newton)

  • yves francois
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2008
         I wanted to be let known that the trumpet solo on "Passionette" has been attributed to Shad Collins in some very reliable sources (namely Hughes Panassie's when speaking of the recordings with the Hill band members in 1937), I feel that it is more conservative than Collins work in 1937 onwards, but it is more "clipped" (jump phrasing, rather like Pete Brown is a trademark of Shad Collins' work ) than Dillard's work, so it is entirely possible.
         All the best
      Yves

      --- On Sat, 12/6/08, yves francois <aprestitine@...> wrote:

      ...one final note: a recent 2 cd set on Jasmine came out of Newton. I want to let you know what titles are not Frankie Newton solos for clarity:

      CECIL SCOTT : SPRINGFIELD STOMP (Bill Coleman)

      TEDDY HILL : PASSIONETTE (Bill Dillard)

      BIG BOY BLUE (Shad Collins)

      BUCK RAM : MORNING MIST (Shad Collins)

      and the open trumpet solo on TWILIGHT IN TEHRAN is by Shad Collins, Newton takes the tight cup muted solo.