Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Jack Teagarden's Orchestra on the TOPS label. hey wait!

  • Gilber M. Erskine
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2008
      Bernice Joffe--- According to Lord's discography, your uncle Val Salata was on 4 transcription reissues from August 1944 in California. Charlie Teagarden is in the trumpet section along with your uncle on 2 of these transcriptions, so it is unlikely that Salata soloed on these. Charlie T is missing on the other two, and if there are trumpet solos on these, perhaps Salata is doing them.

      On August 24, 1944, Salata, Jack T., 2 saxophonists [Gilberton and Rosi] , plus the rhythm section made "China Boy", and indications are that your uncle Val did the vocal and perhaps soloed on trumpet. This transcription is widely available on about 10 labels.

      Unfortunately, I don't have any of the above material.Val Salata was listed as "probable" on further J. Teagarden transcriptions on September and November 1944, then he disappears completely from discographies.

      Be proud that you have an uncle that played in Jack Teagarden's band!

      -------GILBERT M. ERSKINE----- Original Message -----
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2008
        All the 1944 Teagarden transcriptions are on several Stash CDs.

        Dave W.

        interesting u should comment on mr teagarden. my uncle Val salata played
        the piano and trumpet with mr. teagarden during that time. sometime during
        that same era uncle val had his own band, but i can't find any recordings

        my uncle was a trained classical pianist, who loved what we called boogie
        woogie.
        he died in france just after the war when i believe he was playing for the
        USO , at least that is family lore
        i was only 5 at the time

        any way i begg to differ with u i was able to find only one recording-
        armed service too, and i think
        uncle Vlado was pretty terriffic in his solo

        if any one any recording with uncle Val on it- i would be more than
        willing to pay any costs for a duplicate

        7:08 PM

      • bernice joffe
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2008
          cause he went to france with bob hope momma said and that is when he died about
          1945-6
          I have one recording - I'llget it from my sister- and post the name proud- darn right I am .because of him and my mom - my grandmother- I have my love of music
          I have one picure of his band- if any one is interested I'll uploaded it
          many thanks
          bernice joffe

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 7, 2008
            Hi All!

            I am sorry I don't post often here, but I do follow a number of the threads and am amazed at the breadth of knowledge of bands making up the RedHotJazz Forum.

            That said, I have missed part of the Jack Teagarden Orch. discussion, but it seems to be focusing on a big band he led c.1944-c.46.  He also led a full size band in the late 30s and early 40s.  I have two LPs - Jack Teragarden & His Orch: "Rompin' and Stompin'" (Swing Era Records LP-1020)...and Jack Teagarden & His Orch: "It's Time For Teagarden" (Sounds of Swing LP-111) - featuring 1939 - 1945.

            Val Salata is listed on trumpet in 7 tunes from Aug. 1944:  Time Out, Pied Piper, Rompin' and Stompin', Hindustan, Harlem Jump, Swing Without Words, and Well, of Course.  I haven't had the chance to play them, but I do think at least some of these cuts on these LPs are air checks.

            I hope something here adds to the JT discussion.

            Two cents from
            Bob Blackard

            PS:  My email propgram won't let me clip any of the original messages, so they all follow below.  Sorry.

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 7, 2008
              gosh

              how can i get a copy of of it?

              as i write this i am about to cry- my mom and bubba never had any recordings that my sister
              alice and i could find