Re: Jack Teagarden's Orchestra on the TOPS label. hey wait!

  • rogerstrong257
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 5, 2008
      Val Salata -trumpet is on at least 12 of the tracks on my Halcyon
      LP HAL-4 'The Unforgettable Jack Teagarden' that I bought from
      Peter Russell's Hot Record store in Plymouth England in 1971.
      According to the sleeve.
      The tracks he is on were recorded (according to the sleeve) during
      the summer of 1944. Of the 12 tracks he is on one, 'China Boy' seems
      to be a smaller group with Vic Rosi-clarinet, Gish Gilbertson-tenor
      sax, Don Seidel-piano, and Jim Lynch-bass and Frank Hhorrington-
      drums. Val Salata also plays piano on Boogie Woogie.

      Roger Strong

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, bernice joffe <tetapeewee@...>
      wrote:

      > interesting u should comment on mr teagarden. my uncle Val salata
      played the piano and trumpet with mr. teagarden during that time.
      sometime during that same era uncle val had his own band, but i
      can't find any recordings

      > my uncle was a trained classical pianist, who loved what we called
      boogie woogie.
      > he died in france just after the war when i believe he was playing
      for the USO , at least that is family lore
      > i was only 5 at the time
      >
      > any way i begg to differ with u i was able to find only one
      recording- armed service too, and i think
      > uncle Vlado was pretty terriffic in his solo
      >
      > if any one any recording with uncle Val on it- i would be more
      than willing to pay any costs for a duplicate

    • Duncan
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2008
        Don't post very often, just enjoy the other threads but I became intrigued by the name Val Salata and did a search; found that there's a place name of Val Salata in the Alps:
        http://www.dolomiti.org/dengl/Cortina/ce/mtb/Detail.html?rectoskip=7&totrec=14&folder=esc_tofana&subarea=ampezzo&gruppo=Tofana

        After a steep but short stretch, the landscape changes and opens up to the pastures of Forcella Lerosa and those of Ra Stua. In this area many military outworks are still visible, dating back the 1st world war. Continuing along the path n.6 we arrive at the crossroads of Campo Croce. Here we take a right turn towards Val Salata (path n.6).

        Duncan

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2008
          Bernice Joffe--- According to Lord's discography, your uncle Val Salata was on 4 transcription reissues from August 1944 in California. Charlie Teagarden is in the trumpet section along with your uncle on 2 of these transcriptions, so it is unlikely that Salata soloed on these. Charlie T is missing on the other two, and if there are trumpet solos on these, perhaps Salata is doing them.

          On August 24, 1944, Salata, Jack T., 2 saxophonists [Gilberton and Rosi] , plus the rhythm section made "China Boy", and indications are that your uncle Val did the vocal and perhaps soloed on trumpet. This transcription is widely available on about 10 labels.

          Unfortunately, I don't have any of the above material.Val Salata was listed as "probable" on further J. Teagarden transcriptions on September and November 1944, then he disappears completely from discographies.

          Be proud that you have an uncle that played in Jack Teagarden's band!

          -------GILBERT M. ERSKINE----- Original Message -----

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 2008
            All the 1944 Teagarden transcriptions are on several Stash CDs.

            Dave W.

            interesting u should comment on mr teagarden. my uncle Val salata played
            the piano and trumpet with mr. teagarden during that time. sometime during
            that same era uncle val had his own band, but i can't find any recordings

            my uncle was a trained classical pianist, who loved what we called boogie
            woogie.
            he died in france just after the war when i believe he was playing for the
            USO , at least that is family lore
            i was only 5 at the time

            any way i begg to differ with u i was able to find only one recording-
            armed service too, and i think
            uncle Vlado was pretty terriffic in his solo

            if any one any recording with uncle Val on it- i would be more than
            willing to pay any costs for a duplicate

            7:08 PM

          • bernice joffe
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 6, 2008
              cause he went to france with bob hope momma said and that is when he died about
              1945-6
              I have one recording - I'llget it from my sister- and post the name proud- darn right I am .because of him and my mom - my grandmother- I have my love of music
              I have one picure of his band- if any one is interested I'll uploaded it
              many thanks
              bernice joffe

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 7, 2008
                Hi All!

                I am sorry I don't post often here, but I do follow a number of the threads and am amazed at the breadth of knowledge of bands making up the RedHotJazz Forum.

                That said, I have missed part of the Jack Teagarden Orch. discussion, but it seems to be focusing on a big band he led c.1944-c.46.  He also led a full size band in the late 30s and early 40s.  I have two LPs - Jack Teragarden & His Orch: "Rompin' and Stompin'" (Swing Era Records LP-1020)...and Jack Teagarden & His Orch: "It's Time For Teagarden" (Sounds of Swing LP-111) - featuring 1939 - 1945.

                Val Salata is listed on trumpet in 7 tunes from Aug. 1944:  Time Out, Pied Piper, Rompin' and Stompin', Hindustan, Harlem Jump, Swing Without Words, and Well, of Course.  I haven't had the chance to play them, but I do think at least some of these cuts on these LPs are air checks.

                I hope something here adds to the JT discussion.

                Two cents from
                Bob Blackard

                PS:  My email propgram won't let me clip any of the original messages, so they all follow below.  Sorry.

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 7, 2008
                  gosh

                  how can i get a copy of of it?

                  as i write this i am about to cry- my mom and bubba never had any recordings that my sister
                  alice and i could find