Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Frankie Newton

  • Bob Mates
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 5, 2008
      Hi. I remember an Epic boxed set, called Swing Street. It
      originally came out in the mid-'60's. I could be wrong, but I
      think it had Will Bradley's "Beat Me Daddy, 8 to the Bar." I know
      it "Flat Fleet Floogee" by Slim and Slam. It had early
      recordings by big Joe Turner, Dizzy Gillespie, The Spirits of
      Rhythm, and others. I also remember that the Reader's Digest
      Album of the Month had a boxed set, called 52ND STREET, which
      featured mostly old Commodore stuff, by Coleman Hwkins, Chu
      Berry, Lester Young, and a lot of stuff, from that famous town
      Hall Concert, from 1945. Great set! Incidentally, a lot of that
      stuff, (the Commodore recordings), came out on a label, called
      Jazzland, which was popular in the 1950's. They were in real
      thin jackets. I had a bunch of 'em; Jelly Roll Morton; Fats
      Waller; Chu Berry; Jimmy Yancey, Etc. Actually, the label issued
      old Commodore and Victor stuff. They were a lot of fun to
      collect. Well, I've really rambled, and not like the guy the
      song is about! hahaha Bob
    • yves francois
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 6, 2008
        Roger (and everyone else interested)
        I had sent a more detailed info last night to redhot jazz, but it is possible that my computer crashed before it got there, here is a session listing of pre 1939 Newton, will do the rest in the next day or two.
        While I am at this, I will be posting some questions and points re: the Hill band this week as well
        All the best and hope this helps
        Yves Francois

        DISCOGRAPHY NEWTON:
        1929 CECIL SCOTT ORCHESTRA (BRIGHT BOYS)
        4 titles, Newton solos on "In A Corner" and "Bright Boy Blues", all other trumpet solos by Bill Coleman, Newton sings on "Lawd Lawd"

        1933 BESSIE SMITH
        4 titles, Newton has a great solo on "Gimme A Pigfoot"

        1933 BUCK AND BUBBLES
        i title reissued "Long Gone" no solo, band is basically background

        1936 ART KARLE
        4 titles, excellent examples of Newton ("Lights Out" excellent muted solo), pick up date led by ex Goodman tenor man, Joe Bushkin, Mezz and drummer George Stafford

        1936 MEZZ MEZZROW
        5 titles (one a 2 part "Ise A Muggin')

        1936 TEDDY HILL
        5 titles, 4 issued
        big band, Newton solos on 'At The Rug Cutter's Ball" and "Blue Rhythm Fantasize", trumpet solo on "Passionette" is Bill Dillard

        1937 FRANKIE NEWTON & HIS UPTOWN SERENADER'S
        3 sessions, 10 issued titles, numerous alternates have been issued as well
        probably Newton's best work is on the first 2 sessions, famous, with Edmond Hall, Pete Brown, Cecil Scott and Cozy Cole

        1937 TEDDY HILL Bluebird sessions
        12 titles, mostly commercial. Newton solos on "Where Is The Sun", "The You And Me That Used To Be" and "China Boy" (the latter is excellent), I think he is the soloist on "The Love Bug" but it is the one solo that puzzles me, could it be Dillard? The rest (like "Big Boy Blue") are by Shad Collins, or on occasion Bill Dillard

        1937 CHARLIE BARNET
        6 titles, with alternates on "Juvbelista" aka "Emperor Jones"
        solos on "Emperor Jones", "Shame On You" and "Admiration"

        1937 MAXINE SULLIVAN
        4 titles

        1937 MIDGE WILLIAMS
        4 titles

        1937 BUTER BAILEY/ JERRY KRUGER
        4 titles, split session

        1937 WILLIE "THE LION" SMITH
        2 sessions, 8 titles

        1938 OLLIE SHEPPARD
        possible involvement on a session with Bob Carroll and Teddy Bunn, will write an e mail later regarding this as well

        1938 LUCKY MILLINDER
        soundtrack "Ride red Ride" I would not bet my life this is Newton, does not quite look like him, sound is similar, solo's is half Allen's from the 1935 78. Trumpeter on film is about Newton's height but the face looks different IMHO.

        one final note: a recent 2 cd set on Jasmine came out of Newton. I want to let you know what titles are not Frankie Newton solos for clarity:

        CECIL SCOTT : SPRINGFIELD STOMP (Bill Coleman)
        TEDDY HILL : PASSIONETTE (Bill Dillard)
        BIG BOY BLUE (Shad Collins)
        BUCK RAM : MORNING MIST (Shad Collins)
        and the open trumpet solo on TWILIGHT IN TEHRAN is by Shad Collins, Newton takes the tight cup muted solo.
      • Dan Van Landingham
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 6, 2008
          Shaw,from what I remember,had read Marx.He wasn't a card carrying Marxist but McCarthy
          did speak to him about it.Ava Gardner remembered that when she was married to the man
          he brought her Marx's Das Kapital to read.McCarthy was to have told Shaw that he was a
          "dupe" of the Communists.Some of the information I have came from Shaw's The Trouble
          with Cinderella plus bios I had read about Lana Turner and Ava Gardner.John Best,who was
          with Shaw between 1937 and '39,once described Newton as a G_d D___ed Communist.I
          was sipping Scotch with him back in 1978 at a concert he gave in Eugene,Oregon.I spoke
          with the man off and on between 1995 until his death a couple of years ago.

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 6, 2008
            Now that I think about it,Swing Street WAS the name of that boxed set on the old EPlabel issued by Columbia.I also have found out that many of those tracks were issued on CBS'
            Collector's Series somtime in the ' 80s.One of my favourite 1941 Harry James sides called
            The Mole.I have a couple of Columbia 78s of the tune which use the same master I heard
            via Billy May's studio band in the early '70s(from that Big Band tribute May did for Capitol
            after Glen Gray died and the project ended up in the hands of Billy May.I knew a number
            of the men who took part on those sessions:Skeets Herfurt on alto sax;John Best was one
            of the trumpeters and Al Hendrickson who did a  couple of sessions on guitar.I coresponded with Skeets from 1982 until his death in 1992.Al Hendrickson was a very dear
            friend  of mine.I lost him in July of 2007 and his wife Patti the year before.Both were buried
            in a Coos Bay,Oregon cemetary.John Best and former Shaw alto saxist Les Robinson
            who played lead alto for Shaw from 1937 until early 1942.John was in Shaw's Navy band
            along with drummer Davey Tough who was Shaw's drummer in late 1941 and early '42.
            The only source of band information was found in Billie Holiday's 1956 bio called Lady
            Sings the Blues which she co-wrote with attorney William Dufty.It was outrageously
            inaccurate when compared to the book Billie's Blues by John Chilton from 1973.

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 11, 2008
              I would like to offer sincere thanks to Yves for his exhaustive and profound
              overview of the work of the wonderful Frankie Newton. I look forward to
              future instalments if possible but appreciate the amount of work involved.

              There are at least a couple of Newton sites online which offer biographies
              and personal reminiscences.

              Critically, I like Charles Fox in 'Essential Jazz Records -1'

              ' Most jazz musicians can contrive to sound either exuberant or melancholy
              but rarely within the same solo. Newton, though, was a trumpeter capable of
              making sudden shifts, able to justify switching from one emotional stance to
              another.'

              Late lamented Sudhalter in 'Lost Chords' has Frank 'achieving volume and
              high register by pressing the mouthpiece into his upper lip. His sound and
              execution in the final ensembles of quite a few of his records display the
              forced over-percussive attack characteristic of this practice.'

              There is indeed sometimes a strained quality in his work and these technical
              problems may account for the premature end to his career and his switch to
              Flugelhorn and what appears to be bass trumpet. ( There is a photo to be
              found online.)

              This also raises the issues of how both 'incorrect' often self-taught
              technique, especially in brass players, and high note trumpet syndrome have
              moulded the music --- for better or worse.