Lonnie Johnson first recording

  • tommersl
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2005
      I'm curious about when Lonnie Johnson first appeared on someones
      record either as a leader or sideman.
      I Woke Up Cold In Hand / Charles Creath's Jazz O Maniacs seems to me
      like maybe theres a violin there that could be Lonnie Johnson, it's a
      wild guess but just to be sure that theres no violin there I want to
      ask for information or just opinions about it.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2005
        on 4/7/05 6:45, tommersl at tommersl@... wrote:

        > I'm curious about when Lonnie Johnson first appeared on someones
        > record either as a leader or sideman.
        > I Woke Up Cold In Hand / Charles Creath's Jazz O Maniacs seems to me
        > like maybe theres a violin there that could be Lonnie Johnson, it's a
        > wild guess but just to be sure that theres no violin there I want to
        > ask for information or just opinions about it.

        Won't Don't Blues from Creath's November session is normally regarded as
        Lonnie's first recording.

        No one has ever previously reported a violin on the earlier session, and I
        would issue the warning that some dubbing processes notoriously introduce a
        false harmonic (I think that's the correct description) that some listeners
        hear as a violin. It is a bane of discographers, though phantom violins are
        more often reported on Paramounts than other labels.

        John R.T. Davies dubbings of all the Creaths are on Timless CBC1-036 Jazz In
        saint Louis 1924-1927.