RE: [RedHotJazz] Query about King Oliver & His Orchestra

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 17, 2008
      Hello Howard

      McCoy had -- mercifully -- managed to elude me till now. The 22 Jan date
      would surely preclude any influence on Oliver on 19 Feb. Certainly Oliver's
      version is very different and comparatively musical. Where would McCoy have
      picked up this repertoire ?

      I still hear the wa-wa on Oliver's version as burlesque, albeit not nearly
      as gross as McCoy's, with which I cannot possibly demean Oliver.

      ' His wa-wa's, his piercing cries, were not the crude or haphazard attempts
      of a musical semi-literate to play (and to imitate the human voice)
      expressively by bastard and
      essentially non-musical means. They were the careful and deliberate personal
      techniques of a sensitive and innovative player-artist. The almost
      unbearable anguish of King Oliver's horn (as John Martin called it) was
      something he worked long and carefully to be able to project.' Martin
      Williams 'King Oliver' -- Kings Of Jazz