Re: [RedHotJazz] Query about King Oliver & His Orchestra

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 17, 2008
      This has been worked over too often to arouse much enthusiasm I¹m afraid. We
      don¹t know. We never will know.

      The Frog personnel is probably the one speculated by Laurie Wright on the
      basis of the personnel Oliver was assembling for a forthcoming tour and
      various interview data.

      He also thinks it is Morton aurally but Morton consistently over many years
      denied that he ever worked with Oliver. Fred Skerritt identified himself,
      and named Elkins, Morton, Barnes, Wheeler, Nipton and Moore. There is other
      more nebulous stuff from Clyde Bernhardt who said he was meant to be a
      second trombonist but Oliver failed to contact him in time. He also
      identified Morton and said the pianist was Henry Duncan.

      The solo charts attribute the wa wa solo on Sugar to Oliver.

      Don¹t understand the puzzle about Sugar Blues. Clyde McCoy recorded his
      definitive corn version for Columbia on 22 January 1931. Brunswick were
      covering it with a cheap band.

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 17, 2008
        Hello Howard

        McCoy had -- mercifully -- managed to elude me till now. The 22 Jan date
        would surely preclude any influence on Oliver on 19 Feb. Certainly Oliver's
        version is very different and comparatively musical. Where would McCoy have
        picked up this repertoire ?

        I still hear the wa-wa on Oliver's version as burlesque, albeit not nearly
        as gross as McCoy's, with which I cannot possibly demean Oliver.

        ' His wa-wa's, his piercing cries, were not the crude or haphazard attempts
        of a musical semi-literate to play (and to imitate the human voice)
        expressively by bastard and
        essentially non-musical means. They were the careful and deliberate personal
        techniques of a sensitive and innovative player-artist. The almost
        unbearable anguish of King Oliver's horn (as John Martin called it) was
        something he worked long and carefully to be able to project.' Martin
        Williams 'King Oliver' -- Kings Of Jazz