Clarence Williams playing a Morton tune backwards?

  • Tommer
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2008
      Quote http://www.doctorjazz.co.uk/hulsizer.html :
      "Morton didn't like Clarence Williams, even though Williams was from
      New Orleans. If he hadn't been a piano player, I believe Jelly Roll
      may have liked him. Jelly Roll told me that Williams, like Handy, had
      made a small fortune just copyrighting, publishing and recording old
      blues of uncertain origin that had been sung in the South for years.
      He bore Williams a grudge because Williams had taken one of Morton's
      tunes and played it backwards (Morton demonstrated on the piano)
      copyrighted and published it and made money out of it. But, Jelly
      Roll got even. He changed the rhythm on one of Williams tunes and
      sold it under his own name (again he demonstrated). However, Williams
      had made the most money from his theft and the thought still irked
      Jelly Roll. I'm sorry I can't remember the names of the tunes. Maybe
      some researching pianist can supply them."

      What tunes are involved in this backwards thing?
      Tommer