Frankie Newton

  • rogerstrong257
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 24, 2008
      I am interested in finding out more about Frankie Newton. The
      material about him in reference books seems to repeat the same sorts of
      things-that he didn't like Big Bands/that he drank to excess/ that he
      was a political activist/that he painted more than played in the last
      years. He died March 11th,1954 aged only 48. Born january 4th,1906.
      I can find about 45 sides that he recorded but I am interested if
      anything has been written about him in the last few years. Do any of
      his painting still exist-what style did he use and indeed anything new
      or interesting that I can find out about him.
      Can anyone help please?
    • yves francois
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 25, 2008
        Roger
        ... please give me a couple of days, I will write some detailed information re: Newton, I have a full discography* etc, and can get any information you want that is available, Newton happens to be one of my all time favorite musicians (Lips Page is the other post Armstrong trumpet I like as much, though several others were also great), I will respond with quite a bit of data by Monday
        all the best (and I will check some sources re: his paintings I am very interested as well re his art)
        BTW he did a lot of teaching under privileged students trumpet lessons ... for free, he was a very principled man, I will also list some articles, share antidotes from Franz Jackson as well (who played with him in Boston in 1943) etc
        Yves Francois Smierciak

        * I will also list what items in a recent CD reissue are NOT solos by Mr Newton
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 25, 2008
          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, yves francois <aprestitine@...>
          wrote:

          > Roger
          > ... please give me a couple of days, I will write some detailed
          information re: Newton, I have a full discography* etc, and can get
          any information you want that is available, Newton happens to be one
          of my all time favorite musicians (Lips Page is the other post
          Armstrong trumpet I like as much, though several others were also
          great), I will respond with quite a bit of data by Monday
          > all the best (and I will check some sources re: his paintings I am
          very interested as well re his art)
          > BTW he did a lot of teaching under privileged students trumpet
          lessons ... for free, he was a very principled man, I will also list
          some articles, share antidotes from Franz Jackson as well (who played
          with him in Boston in 1943) etc
          > Yves Francois Smierciak
          >
          > Yves
          Thanks in anticipation! I have always thought that there was a
          very vivid character behind the music-a man with many different
          facets to his character and talents and man who died much too young
          as well. Look forward to your reply when ever you have time.

          Roger
          > * I will also list what items in a recent CD reissue are NOT solos
          by Mr Newton

        • rogerstrong257
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2008
            Hi Yves,
            I wonder if you can contact me about the material you might have
            on Frankie Newton. I am still looking for more information about him.

            Roger Strong
            roger@...

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "rogerstrong257" <roger@...> wrote:

            > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, yves francois <aprestitine@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Roger
            > > ... please give me a couple of days, I will write some detailed
            > information re: Newton, I have a full discography* etc, and can get
            > any information you want that is available, Newton happens to be
            one
            > of my all time favorite musicians (Lips Page is the other post
            > Armstrong trumpet I like as much, though several others were also
            > great), I will respond with quite a bit of data by Monday
            > > all the best (and I will check some sources re: his paintings I
            am
            > very interested as well re his art)
            > > BTW he did a lot of teaching under privileged students trumpet
            > lessons ... for free, he was a very principled man, I will also
            list
            > some articles, share antidotes from Franz Jackson as well (who
            played
            > with him in Boston in 1943) etc
            > > Yves Francois Smierciak
            > >
            > > Yves
            > Thanks in anticipation! I have always thought that there was
            > very vivid character behind the music-a man with many different
            > facets to his character and talents and man who died much too young
            > as well. Look forward to your reply when ever you have time.
            >
            > Roger
            > > * I will also list what items in a recent CD reissue are NOT
            solos
            > by Mr Newton

          • Dan Van Landingham
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 5, 2008
              Regarding Frankie Newton:He had done a tour of duty(so to speak)with Mills' Blue Rhythm
              band in 1937.I had an album I bought back in 1971 that featured Mezz Mezzrow on clari-
              net plus Pete Brown on alto.I've forgotten the personnel of the band save the fact that it
              recorded for Bluebird in 1939.Newton employed singer Billie Holiday  in late 1938.She was
              with Newton until 1939.
                   Newton was remembered by some musicians as being an ardent Marxist:Artie Shaw
              and Newton were believers in Marxism.I don't know if McCarthy ever latched onto him in
              his witchhunt which ended in 1954.Newton died that year in his late '40s.
                   The album I spoke of was a "revived" Vintage Series which never got rave reviews but
              it didn't save the series from being a success.Columbia,back in the early '60s,released a
              great boxed set which featured a batch of bands I had never heard before.It included early
              recordings which included Newton,Stuff Smith,Charlie Barnet pre 1939,a few tracks of J-
              ack Teagarden's 1939 band plus tracks of Bobby Hackett's equally unsuccessful 1939
              band.Also featured on the album were some 1940 Bud Freeman sides I had on album cal-
              led Comes Jazz which featured Teagarden's trombone plus Dave Tough on drums.The
              boxed set I had was called 52nd Street which was  issued on Epic circa 1962.There was
              so much odd ball stuff I had never heard before or since.It seems to me that the album was
              sold by way of Ray Anthony's record shop.If I do anything,I'll check out and see if ebay
              has it on CD.The name of Anthony's record shop was called Big Bands '80s.This should
              help you out.Newton's birth year was in 1906.It's interesting to know that Hot Lips Page
              was born around the same time and both died the same year.

              From: rogerstrong257 <roger@...>
              Subject: [RedHotJazz] Re: Frankie Newton
              To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Thursday, December 4, 2008, 6:09 PM

              roger@nikau- nursery.co. nz

              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, "rogerstrong257" <roger@...> wrote:

              > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, yves francois <aprestitine@ >
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Roger
              > > ... please give me a couple of days, I will write some detailed
              > information re: Newton, I have a full discography* etc, and can get
              > any information you want that is available, Newton happens to be
              one
              > of my all time favorite musicians (Lips Page is the other post
              > Armstrong trumpet I like as much, though several others were also
              > great), I will respond with quite a bit of data by Monday
              > > all the best (and I will check some sources re: his paintings I
              am
              > very interested as well re his art)
              > > BTW he did a lot of teaching under privileged students trumpet
              > lessons ... for free, he was a very principled man, I will also
              list
              > some articles, share antidotes from Franz Jackson as well (who
              played
              > with him in Boston in 1943) etc
              > > Yves Francois Smierciak
              > >
              > > Yves
              > Thanks in anticipation! I have always thought that there was
              > very vivid character behind the music-a man with many different
              > facets to his character and talents and man who died much too young
              > as well. Look forward to your reply when ever you have time.
              >
              > Roger
              > > * I will also list what items in a recent CD reissue are NOT
              solos
              > by Mr Newton

            • Bob Mates
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 5, 2008
                Hi. I remember an Epic boxed set, called Swing Street. It
                originally came out in the mid-'60's. I could be wrong, but I
                think it had Will Bradley's "Beat Me Daddy, 8 to the Bar." I know
                it "Flat Fleet Floogee" by Slim and Slam. It had early
                recordings by big Joe Turner, Dizzy Gillespie, The Spirits of
                Rhythm, and others. I also remember that the Reader's Digest
                Album of the Month had a boxed set, called 52ND STREET, which
                featured mostly old Commodore stuff, by Coleman Hwkins, Chu
                Berry, Lester Young, and a lot of stuff, from that famous town
                Hall Concert, from 1945. Great set! Incidentally, a lot of that
                stuff, (the Commodore recordings), came out on a label, called
                Jazzland, which was popular in the 1950's. They were in real
                thin jackets. I had a bunch of 'em; Jelly Roll Morton; Fats
                Waller; Chu Berry; Jimmy Yancey, Etc. Actually, the label issued
                old Commodore and Victor stuff. They were a lot of fun to
                collect. Well, I've really rambled, and not like the guy the
                song is about! hahaha Bob
              • rogerstrong257
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 5, 2008
                  Thanks for that. I have much of the material that you mention. the
                  sides for Bluebird had Newton,Mezz,Pete Brown,James P.Johnson,Al
                  Casey,John Kirby, and Cozy Cole. There are a couple of CDs around but
                  they tend to repeat the same sides. One is on Archives of Jazz and
                  the other on the Afinity label.
                  I wouldn't have said that Artie Shaw was a Marxist and I'm not
                  sure that he ever said he was. Newton's politics do seem to have been
                  far left but just how far left is hard to determine at this stage. I
                  would have doubted that McCarthy would have been interested ina
                  rather obscure jazz musician-he had bigger prey. It's this and his
                  painting as well as the pretty sparse material from people who
                  actually knew him that interests me most.

                  Roger Strong

                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Dan Van Landingham
                  <danvanlandingham@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > am
                  > > very interested as well re his art)
                  > > > BTW he did a lot of teaching under privileged students trumpet
                  > > lessons ... for free, he was a very principled man, I will also
                  > list
                  > > some articles, share antidotes from Franz Jackson as well (who
                  > played
                  > > with him in Boston in 1943) etc
                  > > > Yves Francois Smierciak
                  > > >
                  > > > Yves
                  > > Thanks in anticipation! I have always thought that there was
                  > > very vivid character behind the music-a man with many different
                  > > facets to his character and talents and man who died much too
                  young
                  > > as well. Look forward to your reply when ever you have time.
                  > >
                  > > Roger
                  > > > * I will also list what items in a recent CD reissue are NOT

                • yves francois
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 6, 2008
                    Roger (and everyone else interested)
                    I had sent a more detailed info last night to redhot jazz, but it is possible that my computer crashed before it got there, here is a session listing of pre 1939 Newton, will do the rest in the next day or two.
                    While I am at this, I will be posting some questions and points re: the Hill band this week as well
                    All the best and hope this helps
                    Yves Francois

                    DISCOGRAPHY NEWTON:
                    1929 CECIL SCOTT ORCHESTRA (BRIGHT BOYS)
                    4 titles, Newton solos on "In A Corner" and "Bright Boy Blues", all other trumpet solos by Bill Coleman, Newton sings on "Lawd Lawd"

                    1933 BESSIE SMITH
                    4 titles, Newton has a great solo on "Gimme A Pigfoot"

                    1933 BUCK AND BUBBLES
                    i title reissued "Long Gone" no solo, band is basically background

                    1936 ART KARLE
                    4 titles, excellent examples of Newton ("Lights Out" excellent muted solo), pick up date led by ex Goodman tenor man, Joe Bushkin, Mezz and drummer George Stafford

                    1936 MEZZ MEZZROW
                    5 titles (one a 2 part "Ise A Muggin')

                    1936 TEDDY HILL
                    5 titles, 4 issued
                    big band, Newton solos on 'At The Rug Cutter's Ball" and "Blue Rhythm Fantasize", trumpet solo on "Passionette" is Bill Dillard

                    1937 FRANKIE NEWTON & HIS UPTOWN SERENADER'S
                    3 sessions, 10 issued titles, numerous alternates have been issued as well
                    probably Newton's best work is on the first 2 sessions, famous, with Edmond Hall, Pete Brown, Cecil Scott and Cozy Cole

                    1937 TEDDY HILL Bluebird sessions
                    12 titles, mostly commercial. Newton solos on "Where Is The Sun", "The You And Me That Used To Be" and "China Boy" (the latter is excellent), I think he is the soloist on "The Love Bug" but it is the one solo that puzzles me, could it be Dillard? The rest (like "Big Boy Blue") are by Shad Collins, or on occasion Bill Dillard

                    1937 CHARLIE BARNET
                    6 titles, with alternates on "Juvbelista" aka "Emperor Jones"
                    solos on "Emperor Jones", "Shame On You" and "Admiration"

                    1937 MAXINE SULLIVAN
                    4 titles

                    1937 MIDGE WILLIAMS
                    4 titles

                    1937 BUTER BAILEY/ JERRY KRUGER
                    4 titles, split session

                    1937 WILLIE "THE LION" SMITH
                    2 sessions, 8 titles

                    1938 OLLIE SHEPPARD
                    possible involvement on a session with Bob Carroll and Teddy Bunn, will write an e mail later regarding this as well

                    1938 LUCKY MILLINDER
                    soundtrack "Ride red Ride" I would not bet my life this is Newton, does not quite look like him, sound is similar, solo's is half Allen's from the 1935 78. Trumpeter on film is about Newton's height but the face looks different IMHO.

                    one final note: a recent 2 cd set on Jasmine came out of Newton. I want to let you know what titles are not Frankie Newton solos for clarity:

                    CECIL SCOTT : SPRINGFIELD STOMP (Bill Coleman)
                    TEDDY HILL : PASSIONETTE (Bill Dillard)
                    BIG BOY BLUE (Shad Collins)
                    BUCK RAM : MORNING MIST (Shad Collins)
                    and the open trumpet solo on TWILIGHT IN TEHRAN is by Shad Collins, Newton takes the tight cup muted solo.
                  • Dan Van Landingham
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 6, 2008
                      Shaw,from what I remember,had read Marx.He wasn't a card carrying Marxist but McCarthy
                      did speak to him about it.Ava Gardner remembered that when she was married to the man
                      he brought her Marx's Das Kapital to read.McCarthy was to have told Shaw that he was a
                      "dupe" of the Communists.Some of the information I have came from Shaw's The Trouble
                      with Cinderella plus bios I had read about Lana Turner and Ava Gardner.John Best,who was
                      with Shaw between 1937 and '39,once described Newton as a G_d D___ed Communist.I
                      was sipping Scotch with him back in 1978 at a concert he gave in Eugene,Oregon.I spoke
                      with the man off and on between 1995 until his death a couple of years ago.

                      <danvanlandingham@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > am
                      > > very interested as well re his art)
                      > > > BTW he did a lot of teaching under privileged students trumpet
                      > > lessons ... for free, he was a very principled man, I will also
                      > list
                      > > some articles, share antidotes from Franz Jackson as well (who
                      > played
                      > > with him in Boston in 1943) etc
                      > > > Yves Francois Smierciak
                      > > >
                      > > > Yves
                      > > Thanks in anticipation! I have always thought that there was
                      > > very vivid character behind the music-a man with many different
                      > > facets to his character and talents and man who died much too
                      young
                      > > as well. Look forward to your reply when ever you have time.
                      > >
                      > > Roger
                      > > > * I will also list what items in a recent CD reissue are NOT

                    • Dan Van Landingham
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 6, 2008
                        Now that I think about it,Swing Street WAS the name of that boxed set on the old EPlabel issued by Columbia.I also have found out that many of those tracks were issued on CBS'
                        Collector's Series somtime in the ' 80s.One of my favourite 1941 Harry James sides called
                        The Mole.I have a couple of Columbia 78s of the tune which use the same master I heard
                        via Billy May's studio band in the early '70s(from that Big Band tribute May did for Capitol
                        after Glen Gray died and the project ended up in the hands of Billy May.I knew a number
                        of the men who took part on those sessions:Skeets Herfurt on alto sax;John Best was one
                        of the trumpeters and Al Hendrickson who did a  couple of sessions on guitar.I coresponded with Skeets from 1982 until his death in 1992.Al Hendrickson was a very dear
                        friend  of mine.I lost him in July of 2007 and his wife Patti the year before.Both were buried
                        in a Coos Bay,Oregon cemetary.John Best and former Shaw alto saxist Les Robinson
                        who played lead alto for Shaw from 1937 until early 1942.John was in Shaw's Navy band
                        along with drummer Davey Tough who was Shaw's drummer in late 1941 and early '42.
                        The only source of band information was found in Billie Holiday's 1956 bio called Lady
                        Sings the Blues which she co-wrote with attorney William Dufty.It was outrageously
                        inaccurate when compared to the book Billie's Blues by John Chilton from 1973.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 11, 2008
                          I would like to offer sincere thanks to Yves for his exhaustive and profound
                          overview of the work of the wonderful Frankie Newton. I look forward to
                          future instalments if possible but appreciate the amount of work involved.

                          There are at least a couple of Newton sites online which offer biographies
                          and personal reminiscences.

                          Critically, I like Charles Fox in 'Essential Jazz Records -1'

                          ' Most jazz musicians can contrive to sound either exuberant or melancholy
                          but rarely within the same solo. Newton, though, was a trumpeter capable of
                          making sudden shifts, able to justify switching from one emotional stance to
                          another.'

                          Late lamented Sudhalter in 'Lost Chords' has Frank 'achieving volume and
                          high register by pressing the mouthpiece into his upper lip. His sound and
                          execution in the final ensembles of quite a few of his records display the
                          forced over-percussive attack characteristic of this practice.'

                          There is indeed sometimes a strained quality in his work and these technical
                          problems may account for the premature end to his career and his switch to
                          Flugelhorn and what appears to be bass trumpet. ( There is a photo to be
                          found online.)

                          This also raises the issues of how both 'incorrect' often self-taught
                          technique, especially in brass players, and high note trumpet syndrome have
                          moulded the music --- for better or worse.