Where Was Mitchell Parish Born?

  • Albert Haim
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 22 8:08 AM
      Mitchell Parish was a distinguished lyricist who was inducted in the
      Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1972. He wrote the lyrics for hundreds of
      songs, including Hoagy Carmichael's "Stardust." This was, undoubtedly,
      his greatest hit.

      I have a serious problem regarding the birth place of Mitchell Parish.
      According to several reliable sources, Parish was born in Lithuania.
      One source (http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Mitchell-Parish)
      even provides details about his arrival in New York: "Parish was born
      Michael Hyman Pashelinsky to a Jewish family in Lithuania. His family
      emigrated to the U.S. and arrived on 3 February 1901 on the SS Dresden
      when he was less than a year old, settling first in Louisiana where
      his paternal grandmother had family and later moving to New York
      City." Other reliable sources place his birth in Shreveport, LA and
      his name as Michael Hyman Peretz. I looked up US census data and Ellis
      Island records, but met with abject failure.

      Does anyone know and can cite conclusive documentation about Mitchell
      Parish's birth place?

      Albert
    • Albert Haim
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 24 1:36 PM
        Vince Giordano kindly informed me that Rick Smith, owner of the Piano
        Exchange in Glen Cove, about 35-40 miles east of where I live, was a
        friend of Mitchell Parish and knows his son.

        I called Rick his morning and, without hesitation, he told me that
        Mitchell Parish was born in Lithuania, moved to Louisiana when he was
        a few months old, and moved to New York when he was three years old.

        Rick was not sure about Mitchell Parish's original name. I'll get in
        touch with Parish's son and will report.

        Thanks to Rick and to Vince.

        Albert

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Albert Haim" <alberthaim@...> wrote:

        > Mitchell Parish was a distinguished lyricist who was inducted in the
        > Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1972. He wrote the lyrics for hundreds of
        > songs, including Hoagy Carmichael's "Stardust." This was, undoubtedly,
        > his greatest hit.
        >
        > I have a serious problem regarding the birth place of Mitchell Parish.
        > According to several reliable sources, Parish was born in Lithuania.
        > One source (http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Mitchell-Parish)
        > even provides details about his arrival in New York: "Parish was born
        > Michael Hyman Pashelinsky to a Jewish family in Lithuania. His family
        > emigrated to the U.S. and arrived on 3 February 1901 on the SS Dresden
        > when he was less than a year old, settling first in Louisiana where
        > his paternal grandmother had family and later moving to New York
        > City." Other reliable sources place his birth in Shreveport, LA and
        > his name as Michael Hyman Peretz. I looked up US census data and Ellis
        > Island records, but met with abject failure.
        >
        > Does anyone know and can cite conclusive documentation about Mitchell
        > Parish's birth place?
        >
        > Albert

      • Albert Haim
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 25 6:07 AM
          Many thanks to Bob Eagle who provided the following information

          Norddeutscher Lloyd Bremen Steamship Company
          List or Manifest of Alien Immigrants for the Commissioner of Migration
          SS Dresden Sailing from Bremen Jan 19, 1901 Arriving at Port of New
          York Feb 3, 1901

          Rose Parsilinsky, age 30, female, married, no occupation, nationality
          Russian, last residence Piloiszki, final destination NY, passage
          paid by husband, joining husband at 839 Bank St. NY

          Michel Parsilinski age 7 months, other information same as mother

          1910 US Census Manhattan Cherry Street

          Michael Parish age 9 living with father Meyer, mother Rose, sister
          Esther (age 6) and brother Harry (age 1). Meyer, Rose and Michael born
          in Russia. Esther and Harry born in New York.

          WWI Draft Registration card

          Michael Parish 281 Monroe St. NY, born July 10, 1900 in Russia,
          working as stenographer at 141 5th Ave., nearest relative mother Rose
          Parish, tall, medium built, blue eyes, brown hair.

          1927 Certificate of Nationalization

          Michael Hyman Parish age 27, lives with wife and daughter at 1665
          Monroe Avenue

          List of Inbound Passengers SS Liberte (First Class)
          Left Le Havre France June 26, 1951
          Arrived New York July 2, 1951
          Michael Parish Age 51, single, born in Lithuania, living at 1619
          Broadway, NY NY

          I looked up the SSDI and found

          Mitchell Parish, born July 10, 1900, died March 31, 1993 in New York
          NY 10022