Re: Evertt Hoagland?

  • Jorge Fernandez
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 16, 2008
      This message is possibly off topic Red hot jazz.

      When I first came to the forum asking about Everett Hoagland
      recordings was because I had vivid memories of my childhood listening
      my parents and family about this band and his characteristic stile.
      I thought my father had an LP of such band, but when I recently
      browsed his collection couldn't find any. That's why I asked.

      Now I now that Mr. Hoagland start playing in new England and then
      went to Hollywood to be a Musical manager or something like that. SO
      if such records exited they should be older.

      Wrong, last week end I was browsing the 78 rpm part of the collection
      and came across one record.

      It is a Mexican recoding made in the late 1940's or early 50's, it
      seems that Mr. Hoagland retired form movies, he came to Mexico and
      played in a fancy ballroom (Ciros's) in one of the most luxurious
      hotels of that time in Mexico City (Hotel Reforma).

      The band should be a mix of American and Mexican musicians and had a
      very "personal sound" with a walking bass, that resembles a fox
      trotting.

      That is why for myself the term "Fox Trot" means a fox trotting and
      not a rhythm invented by Mr. Fox in Broadway an early 20th century.
      (I am not arguing this).

      The point is, if anyone wants the images of the labels or the sounds,
      just ask.
      (It seems I cannot post them here)

      The melodies were for dancing, not really Hot Jazz:
      • Little White Lies
      • Softly Lights and Sweet music (sic)
      Regards
      re_p_g_c@...