Manhattan's historic Tin Pan Alley is up for sale

  • pdqblues
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2008
      Until this article, I didn't realize that "Tin Pan Alley" was actually
      a well-defined block in New York. -Paul

      Manhattan's historic Tin Pan Alley is up for sale

      http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nation/20081009-0632-tinpanalley-sale.html

      ASSOCIATED PRESS

      6:32 a.m. October 9, 2008

      NEW YORK - Tin Pan Alley, the home of George Gershwin, Irving Berlin
      and other great American songwriters, is up for sale.

      Five buildings on West 28th Street in Manhattan's Chelsea district are
      being offered as a group for $44 million. A listing on real estate Web
      site Loopnet recommends that the buildings be torn down and a
      high-rise take their place.

      Preservationists and tenants aren't happy.

      Says Historic Districts Council Executive Director Simeon Bankoff:
      "These buildings are incredibly significant to the development of New
      York City. They helped launch the careers of songwriters and musicians
      who are still popular today."

      Tin Pan Alley housed a concentration of music publishers and
      songwriters from the 1890s to the 1950s.

      (c) Copyright 1995-2008 Union-Tribune Publishing Co. • A Copley
      Newspaper Site

      http://home.nyc.rr.com/jkn/nysonglines/28st.htm

      New York Songlines: 28th Street
      including Tin Pan Alley