Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Irving Aaronson

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 8, 2008
      I've a few Victor 78s over the years of Irving Aaronson's Commanders(the one that comes
      to mind is "I'll Get By").Can anyone out there tell me about the Coon-Sanders Nighthawks.
      I had a Victor 78 of their "Roodles".I found an RCA Vintage LP some years ago of a number
      of their recordings.

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 9, 2008
        Coon-Sanders was a very successful band throughout the 1920s, and their recordings are pretty easily found on CD now. I like the Challenge Records collection, "The Best of Coon-Sanders: 1924-1932". Carleton Coon and Joe Sanders founded the band in 1919 and it lasted until about 1932 when Coon died. There's also a good book by Fred Edmiston called "The Coon-Sanders Nighthawks: The Band That Made Radio Famous".

        - Todd

      • David Weiner
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 10, 2008
          All of Coon-Sanders recordings, including unissued tracks and recordings
          made for radio, were issued a few years ago on four CDs from The Old
          Masters.

          Dave W.