RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Irving Aaronson

  • Fitzpatrick, Gerard
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
      Bryan:

      If Rivermont Records needs a motto, may I suggest the old adage, "all good things come to those who wait"?

      Gerard

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 8, 2008
        I've a few Victor 78s over the years of Irving Aaronson's Commanders(the one that comes
        to mind is "I'll Get By").Can anyone out there tell me about the Coon-Sanders Nighthawks.
        I had a Victor 78 of their "Roodles".I found an RCA Vintage LP some years ago of a number
        of their recordings.

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, "Gerard J. Fitzpatrick" <gfitzpatrick@ ...> wrote:

        > Although the Red Hot Jazz archive has many sound files for Irving
        > Aaronson's two groups, the Commanders and the Crusaders, it does not
        > appear that these groups have been released on CD (except for an
        > individual song here and there). Is this indeed the case? I'm surprised
        > that Timeless, Retrieval, Frog, or Jazz Oracle haven't produced a
        > collection. Does anyone know if such a set is in the works? Surely
        > Aaronson's versions of "Let's Misbehave," "Poor Papa," and "Hard to Get
        > Gertie," to name just a few, deserve wider circulation.
        >
        > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

      • Epistrophy
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 9, 2008
          Coon-Sanders was a very successful band throughout the 1920s, and their recordings are pretty easily found on CD now. I like the Challenge Records collection, "The Best of Coon-Sanders: 1924-1932". Carleton Coon and Joe Sanders founded the band in 1919 and it lasted until about 1932 when Coon died. There's also a good book by Fred Edmiston called "The Coon-Sanders Nighthawks: The Band That Made Radio Famous".

          - Todd

        • David Weiner
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 10, 2008
            All of Coon-Sanders recordings, including unissued tracks and recordings
            made for radio, were issued a few years ago on four CDs from The Old
            Masters.

            Dave W.