Re: Irving Aaronson

  • vntager8io
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
      Hi, Gerard.

      No apologies needed. The Virginians disc is still very much "in production" as well (new
      "ETA" is next summer). When I last reported on it, the idea for the Virginians disc was still
      in its infancy -- it has taken longer than expected to secure E+ copies of the selections to
      be included. Both the Virginians and Aaronson CDs have now progressed to the "transfers
      and remastering" stage.

      In the meantime, Rivermont's newest CD (Isham Jones and His Orchestra, BSW-1146) is
      back from the pressing plant and is now available from Worlds Records or directly from
      Rivermont:

      http://www.rivermontrecords.com

      Thanks!
      Bryan W.

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Fitzpatrick, Gerard" <gfitzpatrick@...> wrote:

      > Bryan:
      >
      > Thank you for the welcome news of your upcoming Aaronson release. Please accept my
      apologies for failing to include Rivermont in my earlier reference to Timeless Historical et
      al. I have very much enjoyed several of your fine productions. Speaking of which, whatever
      happened to the collection of Paul Whiteman's "The Virginians" that you indicated quite
      some time ago was in the works?

      "Gerard J. Fitzpatrick" <gfitzpatrick@> wrote:

      > > Although the Red Hot Jazz archive has many sound files for Irving
      > > Aaronson's two groups, the Commanders and the Crusaders, it does not
      > > appear that these groups have been released on CD (except for an
      > > individual song here and there). Is this indeed the case? I'm surprised
      > > that Timeless, Retrieval, Frog, or Jazz Oracle haven't produced a
      > > collection. Does anyone know if such a set is in the works? Surely
      > > Aaronson's versions of "Let's Misbehave," "Poor Papa," and "Hard to Get
      > > Gertie," to name just a few, deserve wider circulation.
      > >
      > > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

    • Fitzpatrick, Gerard
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
        Bryan:

        If Rivermont Records needs a motto, may I suggest the old adage, "all good things come to those who wait"?

        Gerard

        ________________________________

        No apologies needed. The Virginians disc is still very much "in production" as well (new
        "ETA" is next summer). When I last reported on it, the idea for the Virginians disc was still
        in its infancy -- it has taken longer than expected to secure E+ copies of the selections to
        be included. Both the Virginians and Aaronson CDs have now progressed to the "transfers
        and remastering" stage.

        In the meantime, Rivermont's newest CD (Isham Jones and His Orchestra, BSW-1146) is
        back from the pressing plant and is now available from Worlds Records or directly from
        Rivermont:

        http://www.rivermontrecords.com <http://www.rivermontrecords.com/>

        Thanks!
        Bryan W.

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> , "Fitzpatrick, Gerard" <gfitzpatrick@...> wrote:

        > Bryan:
        >
        > Thank you for the welcome news of your upcoming Aaronson release. Please accept my
        apologies for failing to include Rivermont in my earlier reference to Timeless Historical et
        al. I have very much enjoyed several of your fine productions. Speaking of which, whatever
        happened to the collection of Paul Whiteman's "The Virginians" that you indicated quite
        some time ago was in the works?

        > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
        >
        > ________________________________

      • Dan Van Landingham
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 8, 2008
          I've a few Victor 78s over the years of Irving Aaronson's Commanders(the one that comes
          to mind is "I'll Get By").Can anyone out there tell me about the Coon-Sanders Nighthawks.
          I had a Victor 78 of their "Roodles".I found an RCA Vintage LP some years ago of a number
          of their recordings.

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, "Gerard J. Fitzpatrick" <gfitzpatrick@ ...> wrote:

          > Although the Red Hot Jazz archive has many sound files for Irving
          > Aaronson's two groups, the Commanders and the Crusaders, it does not
          > appear that these groups have been released on CD (except for an
          > individual song here and there). Is this indeed the case? I'm surprised
          > that Timeless, Retrieval, Frog, or Jazz Oracle haven't produced a
          > collection. Does anyone know if such a set is in the works? Surely
          > Aaronson's versions of "Let's Misbehave," "Poor Papa," and "Hard to Get
          > Gertie," to name just a few, deserve wider circulation.
          >
          > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

        • Epistrophy
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 9, 2008
            Coon-Sanders was a very successful band throughout the 1920s, and their recordings are pretty easily found on CD now. I like the Challenge Records collection, "The Best of Coon-Sanders: 1924-1932". Carleton Coon and Joe Sanders founded the band in 1919 and it lasted until about 1932 when Coon died. There's also a good book by Fred Edmiston called "The Coon-Sanders Nighthawks: The Band That Made Radio Famous".

            - Todd

          • David Weiner
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 10, 2008
              All of Coon-Sanders recordings, including unissued tracks and recordings
              made for radio, were issued a few years ago on four CDs from The Old
              Masters.

              Dave W.