RE: [RedHotJazz] Larry Shields On Tenor

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005
      Thanks Howard. Do you have any info. on his tenor because I can find no
      refs. to it at all ? Also do you have any idea with what sort of bands he
      would have been playing on the coast ?

      Dave

      PS My Meeker, Ed.1 shows no entries for Shields, neither does Meeker online
      at Libary Of Congress.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005

        > Thanks Howard. Do you have any info. on his tenor because I can find no
        > refs. to it at all ? Also do you have any idea with what sort of bands he
        > would have been playing on the coast ?

        Sudhalter's article makes no mention of him playing anything other than
        clarinet, and fudges what his actual musical activities on the Coast were.
        Apparently he worked at the 400 Club and the Tent Cafe in the 1920s. There
        is an (unsigned) obituary in the February 1954 Record Changer whose author
        believed he had retired from music in 1937, after playing at Nick's for a
        time. The author also appears to have been familiar only with the 30s
        recordings, which is sobering.

        Someone should check H.O.Brunn's ODJB hagiography for references. I've no
        idea where my copy is, or even whether I still have it!

        > PS My Meeker, Ed.1 shows no entries for Shields, neither does Meeker online
        > at Libary Of Congress.

        The only film I can find any reference to is the ODJB's March of Time
        appearance (1936).

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005

          > Thanks Howard. Do you have any info. on his tenor because I can find no
          > refs. to it at all ? Also do you have any idea with what sort of bands he
          > would have been playing on the coast ?
          >
          > Dave
          >
          > PS My Meeker, Ed.1 shows no entries for Shields, neither does Meeker online
          > at Libary Of Congress.

          Three more film appearances are listed in The Fabulous Fives, 1936 shorts
          called "It's On the Record" and "Jazz and Sand" (in which the ODJB plays
          Clarinet Marmalade), and an ODJB appearance in a 1917 film called "The Good
          For Nothing", which is of course silent!