RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Irving Aaronson

  • Fitzpatrick, Gerard
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
      Glenn:

      Thanks for the tip. I was unaware of Crystal Stream Audio. There's quite a bit of material at their website that would be of interest to group members. I'm still curious, though, as to why the bigger labels have not yet released Aaronson's material.

      Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
        I am happy to report that an Irving Aaronson CD will be forthcoming from Rivermont
        Records early next year. The CD will include nearly all of the band's Victors. If there is
        sufficient interest, a second Aaronson with the later Vocalions and Columbias may also be
        in order.

        Bryan W.

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Gerard J. Fitzpatrick" <gfitzpatrick@...> wrote:

        > Although the Red Hot Jazz archive has many sound files for Irving
        > Aaronson's two groups, the Commanders and the Crusaders, it does not
        > appear that these groups have been released on CD (except for an
        > individual song here and there). Is this indeed the case? I'm surprised
        > that Timeless, Retrieval, Frog, or Jazz Oracle haven't produced a
        > collection. Does anyone know if such a set is in the works? Surely
        > Aaronson's versions of "Let's Misbehave," "Poor Papa," and "Hard to Get
        > Gertie," to name just a few, deserve wider circulation.
        >
        > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

      • Glenn Robison
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
          GREAT news, Bryan! Can't wait!

          Glenn

          vntager8io wrote:

          > I am happy to report that an Irving Aaronson CD will be forthcoming
          > from Rivermont
          > Records early next year. The CD will include nearly all of the band's
          > Victors. If there is
          > sufficient interest, a second Aaronson with the later Vocalions and
          > Columbias may also be
          > in order.
          >
          > Bryan W.

        • Fitzpatrick, Gerard
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
            Bryan:

            Thank you for the welcome news of your upcoming Aaronson release. Please accept my apologies for failing to include Rivermont in my earlier reference to Timeless Historical et al. I have very much enjoyed several of your fine productions. Speaking of which, whatever happened to the collection of Paul Whiteman's "The Virginians" that you indicated quite some time ago was in the works?

            Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

            ________________________________

            I am happy to report that an Irving Aaronson CD will be forthcoming from Rivermont
            Records early next year. The CD will include nearly all of the band's Victors. If there is
            sufficient interest, a second Aaronson with the later Vocalions and Columbias may also be
            in order.

            Bryan W.

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> , "Gerard J. Fitzpatrick" <gfitzpatrick@...> wrote:

            > Although the Red Hot Jazz archive has many sound files for Irving
            > Aaronson's two groups, the Commanders and the Crusaders, it does not
            > appear that these groups have been released on CD (except for an
            > individual song here and there). Is this indeed the case? I'm surprised
            > that Timeless, Retrieval, Frog, or Jazz Oracle haven't produced a
            > collection. Does anyone know if such a set is in the works? Surely
            > Aaronson's versions of "Let's Misbehave," "Poor Papa," and "Hard to Get
            > Gertie," to name just a few, deserve wider circulation.
            >
            > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

          • vntager8io
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
              Hi, Gerard.

              No apologies needed. The Virginians disc is still very much "in production" as well (new
              "ETA" is next summer). When I last reported on it, the idea for the Virginians disc was still
              in its infancy -- it has taken longer than expected to secure E+ copies of the selections to
              be included. Both the Virginians and Aaronson CDs have now progressed to the "transfers
              and remastering" stage.

              In the meantime, Rivermont's newest CD (Isham Jones and His Orchestra, BSW-1146) is
              back from the pressing plant and is now available from Worlds Records or directly from
              Rivermont:

              http://www.rivermontrecords.com

              Thanks!
              Bryan W.

              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Fitzpatrick, Gerard" <gfitzpatrick@...> wrote:

              > Bryan:
              >
              > Thank you for the welcome news of your upcoming Aaronson release. Please accept my
              apologies for failing to include Rivermont in my earlier reference to Timeless Historical et
              al. I have very much enjoyed several of your fine productions. Speaking of which, whatever
              happened to the collection of Paul Whiteman's "The Virginians" that you indicated quite
              some time ago was in the works?

              > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
              >
              > ________________________________

            • Fitzpatrick, Gerard
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
                Bryan:

                If Rivermont Records needs a motto, may I suggest the old adage, "all good things come to those who wait"?

                Gerard

                ________________________________

                No apologies needed. The Virginians disc is still very much "in production" as well (new
                "ETA" is next summer). When I last reported on it, the idea for the Virginians disc was still
                in its infancy -- it has taken longer than expected to secure E+ copies of the selections to
                be included. Both the Virginians and Aaronson CDs have now progressed to the "transfers
                and remastering" stage.

                In the meantime, Rivermont's newest CD (Isham Jones and His Orchestra, BSW-1146) is
                back from the pressing plant and is now available from Worlds Records or directly from
                Rivermont:

                http://www.rivermontrecords.com <http://www.rivermontrecords.com/>

                Thanks!
                Bryan W.

                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> , "Fitzpatrick, Gerard" <gfitzpatrick@...> wrote:

                > Bryan:
                >
                > Thank you for the welcome news of your upcoming Aaronson release. Please accept my
                apologies for failing to include Rivermont in my earlier reference to Timeless Historical et
                al. I have very much enjoyed several of your fine productions. Speaking of which, whatever
                happened to the collection of Paul Whiteman's "The Virginians" that you indicated quite
                some time ago was in the works?

                > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
                >
                > ________________________________

              • Dan Van Landingham
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 8, 2008
                  I've a few Victor 78s over the years of Irving Aaronson's Commanders(the one that comes
                  to mind is "I'll Get By").Can anyone out there tell me about the Coon-Sanders Nighthawks.
                  I had a Victor 78 of their "Roodles".I found an RCA Vintage LP some years ago of a number
                  of their recordings.

                  I am happy to report that an Irving Aaronson CD will be forthcoming from Rivermont
                  Records early next year. The CD will include nearly all of the band's Victors. If there is
                  sufficient interest, a second Aaronson with the later Vocalions and Columbias may also be
                  in order.

                  Bryan W.

                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, "Gerard J. Fitzpatrick" <gfitzpatrick@ ...> wrote:

                  > Although the Red Hot Jazz archive has many sound files for Irving
                  > Aaronson's two groups, the Commanders and the Crusaders, it does not
                  > appear that these groups have been released on CD (except for an
                  > individual song here and there). Is this indeed the case? I'm surprised
                  > that Timeless, Retrieval, Frog, or Jazz Oracle haven't produced a
                  > collection. Does anyone know if such a set is in the works? Surely
                  > Aaronson's versions of "Let's Misbehave," "Poor Papa," and "Hard to Get
                  > Gertie," to name just a few, deserve wider circulation.
                  >
                  > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

                • Epistrophy
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 9, 2008
                    Coon-Sanders was a very successful band throughout the 1920s, and their recordings are pretty easily found on CD now. I like the Challenge Records collection, "The Best of Coon-Sanders: 1924-1932". Carleton Coon and Joe Sanders founded the band in 1919 and it lasted until about 1932 when Coon died. There's also a good book by Fred Edmiston called "The Coon-Sanders Nighthawks: The Band That Made Radio Famous".

                    - Todd

                  • David Weiner
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 10, 2008
                      All of Coon-Sanders recordings, including unissued tracks and recordings
                      made for radio, were issued a few years ago on four CDs from The Old
                      Masters.

                      Dave W.