ADMIN: Grouply

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2008
      From: "James O'Briant" <jobriant@...>
      To: <RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2008 3:44 AM
      Subject: RE: [RedHotJazz] Fw: Mike wants to add you as a friend :)

      > My recommendation: Avoid grouply.com like the plague. If you
      >want to know why, go to their website and read their terms of
      >service.

      Quite so, James, but maybe I forgot to label my previous messages as
      "ADMIN", which means that we do not want any further discussion on this
      off-topic subject, and moreover, no further mention of the link to this
      "service" in quoted messages. All previous messages about Grouply, including
      mine,
      have beeen removed from the group's archives, and I wish no-one fancied
      posting again about this.
      The group's rule regarding virus alerts also applies here, that is : do not
      hesitate to send ME or redhtotjazz-owner@yahoogroups.com (same address, plus
      a copy to Michael) any complaint, question or report regarding security
      matters, but never start or continue a discussion about these on the list.
      If information about security have to be sent to the group, it's OUR job. Of
      course I welcome other administrator's advice as long as they're sent
      privately, but information have to be checked, and I did not want to spread
      a panick among group-members until I was sure!
      I've spent a lot of time on this since yesterday, reading reports and
      advice, checking Grouply's own pages and visiting reliable group managers
      forums, so I think I can somewhat sum it up :

      - Grouply is meant to encourage its members to "share" other Yahoo groups
      member's addresses; it makes the process partly automatic, harvesting the
      addresses of members *who have already posted* (all others are "safe" as
      long as the members' list is available to moderators only, which is the case
      on our group)
      - I have no evidence or direct report that they send invitations without the
      member's consent, like some of these new "services" do ("Hi5" does, and
      takes hold of one's whole address book!). They claim they never do and put
      limitations to the number of people they suggest to "invite", but as
      you said, giving out one's Yahoo password to a third-party service *is*
      potentially dangerous.
      - Although Grouply also claim they are not breaking Yahoo's TOS, it is
      obviously an intrusion which moderators cannot control, because it relies on
      everyone's "initiative" to use it or not. Rather, and absolutely NOT on any
      of the groups I
      run, but I am not going to add to the rules every time they invent new
      malicious devices.

      So for the time being *anyone* using such a device will be either warned or
      silenty removed (no explanations needed for people who never posted, and
      subscribed with the "nomail" setting, they can just keep on reading on the
      webpage like everybody else)

      And since Yahoo fail to react, I reluctantly consider using Grouply's own
      "opt out" option, but I will test it on another, inactive group in the first
      place, under a different Yahoo account unrelated to RHJ.

      I hope this is clear... all questions or suggestions welcome
      - *pri-vate-ly* ;-)

      Thanks,

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2008
        I've just "silently removed" another lurker who intended to send (twice!)
        invitations to the whole group... so please be warned : since Jim, who runs
        several other Yahoo groups, duly confirmed that these network affiliations
        send *automatic* invitations to the addresses they can grab, I WILL ban
        anyone using them, be they called Groupy, Hi5, Friendster or anything else.

        I mean, don't even try, or say goodbye to the RedHotjazz mailing list!

        I also warn that, if things go on that way, I will get rid of ALL members
        who joined with only a Yahoo.com address, never posted, and stay registered
        with "nomail" settings.
        Another reminder to all of them : "ADMIN:" also means "EVERYONE READS !"

        Patrice
      • john schott
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2008
          Bravo! Go team!