Re: Irving Aaronson

  • Glenn Robison
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2008
      Crystal Stream Audio of Australia has a Commanders CD available, which
      includes the three songs you mention. The transfers and restoration
      is good, with no obvious artifacts. Crystal Stream is at
      www.crystream.com.au.

      Glenn Robison, Producer/Host
      Rapidly Rotating Records
      Sunday Evenings at 6 on KISL-FM 88.7 Avalon
      Wellsford Country Radio Network, New Zealand 105.8
      On-Demand Online at www.RapidlyRotatingRecords.com

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Gerard J. Fitzpatrick"
      <gfitzpatrick@...> wrote:

      > Although the Red Hot Jazz archive has many sound files for Irving
      > Aaronson's two groups, the Commanders and the Crusaders, it does not
      > appear that these groups have been released on CD (except for an
      > individual song here and there). Is this indeed the case? I'm surprised
      > that Timeless, Retrieval, Frog, or Jazz Oracle haven't produced a
      > collection. Does anyone know if such a set is in the works? Surely
      > Aaronson's versions of "Let's Misbehave," "Poor Papa," and "Hard to Get
      > Gertie," to name just a few, deserve wider circulation.
      >
      > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

    • Fitzpatrick, Gerard
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
        Glenn:

        Thanks for the tip. I was unaware of Crystal Stream Audio. There's quite a bit of material at their website that would be of interest to group members. I'm still curious, though, as to why the bigger labels have not yet released Aaronson's material.

        Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

        ________________________________

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> , "Gerard J. Fitzpatrick"
        <gfitzpatrick@...> wrote:

        > Although the Red Hot Jazz archive has many sound files for Irving
        > Aaronson's two groups, the Commanders and the Crusaders, it does not
        > appear that these groups have been released on CD (except for an
        > individual song here and there). Is this indeed the case? I'm surprised
        > that Timeless, Retrieval, Frog, or Jazz Oracle haven't produced a
        > collection. Does anyone know if such a set is in the works? Surely
        > Aaronson's versions of "Let's Misbehave," "Poor Papa," and "Hard to Get
        > Gertie," to name just a few, deserve wider circulation.
        >
        > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

      • vntager8io
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
          I am happy to report that an Irving Aaronson CD will be forthcoming from Rivermont
          Records early next year. The CD will include nearly all of the band's Victors. If there is
          sufficient interest, a second Aaronson with the later Vocalions and Columbias may also be
          in order.

          Bryan W.

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Gerard J. Fitzpatrick" <gfitzpatrick@...> wrote:

          > Although the Red Hot Jazz archive has many sound files for Irving
          > Aaronson's two groups, the Commanders and the Crusaders, it does not
          > appear that these groups have been released on CD (except for an
          > individual song here and there). Is this indeed the case? I'm surprised
          > that Timeless, Retrieval, Frog, or Jazz Oracle haven't produced a
          > collection. Does anyone know if such a set is in the works? Surely
          > Aaronson's versions of "Let's Misbehave," "Poor Papa," and "Hard to Get
          > Gertie," to name just a few, deserve wider circulation.
          >
          > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

        • Glenn Robison
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
            GREAT news, Bryan! Can't wait!

            Glenn

            vntager8io wrote:

            > I am happy to report that an Irving Aaronson CD will be forthcoming
            > from Rivermont
            > Records early next year. The CD will include nearly all of the band's
            > Victors. If there is
            > sufficient interest, a second Aaronson with the later Vocalions and
            > Columbias may also be
            > in order.
            >
            > Bryan W.

          • Fitzpatrick, Gerard
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
              Bryan:

              Thank you for the welcome news of your upcoming Aaronson release. Please accept my apologies for failing to include Rivermont in my earlier reference to Timeless Historical et al. I have very much enjoyed several of your fine productions. Speaking of which, whatever happened to the collection of Paul Whiteman's "The Virginians" that you indicated quite some time ago was in the works?

              Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

              ________________________________

              I am happy to report that an Irving Aaronson CD will be forthcoming from Rivermont
              Records early next year. The CD will include nearly all of the band's Victors. If there is
              sufficient interest, a second Aaronson with the later Vocalions and Columbias may also be
              in order.

              Bryan W.

              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> , "Gerard J. Fitzpatrick" <gfitzpatrick@...> wrote:

              > Although the Red Hot Jazz archive has many sound files for Irving
              > Aaronson's two groups, the Commanders and the Crusaders, it does not
              > appear that these groups have been released on CD (except for an
              > individual song here and there). Is this indeed the case? I'm surprised
              > that Timeless, Retrieval, Frog, or Jazz Oracle haven't produced a
              > collection. Does anyone know if such a set is in the works? Surely
              > Aaronson's versions of "Let's Misbehave," "Poor Papa," and "Hard to Get
              > Gertie," to name just a few, deserve wider circulation.
              >
              > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

            • vntager8io
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
                Hi, Gerard.

                No apologies needed. The Virginians disc is still very much "in production" as well (new
                "ETA" is next summer). When I last reported on it, the idea for the Virginians disc was still
                in its infancy -- it has taken longer than expected to secure E+ copies of the selections to
                be included. Both the Virginians and Aaronson CDs have now progressed to the "transfers
                and remastering" stage.

                In the meantime, Rivermont's newest CD (Isham Jones and His Orchestra, BSW-1146) is
                back from the pressing plant and is now available from Worlds Records or directly from
                Rivermont:

                http://www.rivermontrecords.com

                Thanks!
                Bryan W.

                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Fitzpatrick, Gerard" <gfitzpatrick@...> wrote:

                > Bryan:
                >
                > Thank you for the welcome news of your upcoming Aaronson release. Please accept my
                apologies for failing to include Rivermont in my earlier reference to Timeless Historical et
                al. I have very much enjoyed several of your fine productions. Speaking of which, whatever
                happened to the collection of Paul Whiteman's "The Virginians" that you indicated quite
                some time ago was in the works?

                > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
                >
                > ________________________________

              • Fitzpatrick, Gerard
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
                  Bryan:

                  If Rivermont Records needs a motto, may I suggest the old adage, "all good things come to those who wait"?

                  Gerard

                  ________________________________

                  No apologies needed. The Virginians disc is still very much "in production" as well (new
                  "ETA" is next summer). When I last reported on it, the idea for the Virginians disc was still
                  in its infancy -- it has taken longer than expected to secure E+ copies of the selections to
                  be included. Both the Virginians and Aaronson CDs have now progressed to the "transfers
                  and remastering" stage.

                  In the meantime, Rivermont's newest CD (Isham Jones and His Orchestra, BSW-1146) is
                  back from the pressing plant and is now available from Worlds Records or directly from
                  Rivermont:

                  http://www.rivermontrecords.com <http://www.rivermontrecords.com/>

                  Thanks!
                  Bryan W.

                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> , "Fitzpatrick, Gerard" <gfitzpatrick@...> wrote:

                  > Bryan:
                  >
                  > Thank you for the welcome news of your upcoming Aaronson release. Please accept my
                  apologies for failing to include Rivermont in my earlier reference to Timeless Historical et
                  al. I have very much enjoyed several of your fine productions. Speaking of which, whatever
                  happened to the collection of Paul Whiteman's "The Virginians" that you indicated quite
                  some time ago was in the works?

                  > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
                  >
                  > ________________________________

                • Dan Van Landingham
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 8, 2008
                    I've a few Victor 78s over the years of Irving Aaronson's Commanders(the one that comes
                    to mind is "I'll Get By").Can anyone out there tell me about the Coon-Sanders Nighthawks.
                    I had a Victor 78 of their "Roodles".I found an RCA Vintage LP some years ago of a number
                    of their recordings.

                    I am happy to report that an Irving Aaronson CD will be forthcoming from Rivermont
                    Records early next year. The CD will include nearly all of the band's Victors. If there is
                    sufficient interest, a second Aaronson with the later Vocalions and Columbias may also be
                    in order.

                    Bryan W.

                    --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, "Gerard J. Fitzpatrick" <gfitzpatrick@ ...> wrote:

                    > Although the Red Hot Jazz archive has many sound files for Irving
                    > Aaronson's two groups, the Commanders and the Crusaders, it does not
                    > appear that these groups have been released on CD (except for an
                    > individual song here and there). Is this indeed the case? I'm surprised
                    > that Timeless, Retrieval, Frog, or Jazz Oracle haven't produced a
                    > collection. Does anyone know if such a set is in the works? Surely
                    > Aaronson's versions of "Let's Misbehave," "Poor Papa," and "Hard to Get
                    > Gertie," to name just a few, deserve wider circulation.
                    >
                    > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

                  • Epistrophy
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 9, 2008
                      Coon-Sanders was a very successful band throughout the 1920s, and their recordings are pretty easily found on CD now. I like the Challenge Records collection, "The Best of Coon-Sanders: 1924-1932". Carleton Coon and Joe Sanders founded the band in 1919 and it lasted until about 1932 when Coon died. There's also a good book by Fred Edmiston called "The Coon-Sanders Nighthawks: The Band That Made Radio Famous".

                      - Todd

                    • David Weiner
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 10, 2008
                        All of Coon-Sanders recordings, including unissued tracks and recordings
                        made for radio, were issued a few years ago on four CDs from The Old
                        Masters.

                        Dave W.