Re: [RedHotJazz] Larry Shields On Tenor

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005

      > Anybody know why his spell with Whiteman was so
      > brief ? Did he read ?

      Richard Sudhalter in his Grove entry on Shields says he was a non-reader,
      which answers both questions.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005
        Thanks Howard. Do you have any info. on his tenor because I can find no
        refs. to it at all ? Also do you have any idea with what sort of bands he
        would have been playing on the coast ?

        Dave

        PS My Meeker, Ed.1 shows no entries for Shields, neither does Meeker online
        at Libary Of Congress.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005

          > Thanks Howard. Do you have any info. on his tenor because I can find no
          > refs. to it at all ? Also do you have any idea with what sort of bands he
          > would have been playing on the coast ?

          Sudhalter's article makes no mention of him playing anything other than
          clarinet, and fudges what his actual musical activities on the Coast were.
          Apparently he worked at the 400 Club and the Tent Cafe in the 1920s. There
          is an (unsigned) obituary in the February 1954 Record Changer whose author
          believed he had retired from music in 1937, after playing at Nick's for a
          time. The author also appears to have been familiar only with the 30s
          recordings, which is sobering.

          Someone should check H.O.Brunn's ODJB hagiography for references. I've no
          idea where my copy is, or even whether I still have it!

          > PS My Meeker, Ed.1 shows no entries for Shields, neither does Meeker online
          > at Libary Of Congress.

          The only film I can find any reference to is the ODJB's March of Time
          appearance (1936).

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005

            > Thanks Howard. Do you have any info. on his tenor because I can find no
            > refs. to it at all ? Also do you have any idea with what sort of bands he
            > would have been playing on the coast ?
            >
            > Dave
            >
            > PS My Meeker, Ed.1 shows no entries for Shields, neither does Meeker online
            > at Libary Of Congress.

            Three more film appearances are listed in The Fabulous Fives, 1936 shorts
            called "It's On the Record" and "Jazz and Sand" (in which the ODJB plays
            Clarinet Marmalade), and an ODJB appearance in a 1917 film called "The Good
            For Nothing", which is of course silent!