Irving Aaronson

  • Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2008
      Although the Red Hot Jazz archive has many sound files for Irving
      Aaronson's two groups, the Commanders and the Crusaders, it does not
      appear that these groups have been released on CD (except for an
      individual song here and there). Is this indeed the case? I'm surprised
      that Timeless, Retrieval, Frog, or Jazz Oracle haven't produced a
      collection. Does anyone know if such a set is in the works? Surely
      Aaronson's versions of "Let's Misbehave," "Poor Papa," and "Hard to Get
      Gertie," to name just a few, deserve wider circulation.

      Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
    • Glenn Robison
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 4, 2008
        Crystal Stream Audio of Australia has a Commanders CD available, which
        includes the three songs you mention. The transfers and restoration
        is good, with no obvious artifacts. Crystal Stream is at
        www.crystream.com.au.

        Glenn Robison, Producer/Host
        Rapidly Rotating Records
        Sunday Evenings at 6 on KISL-FM 88.7 Avalon
        Wellsford Country Radio Network, New Zealand 105.8
        On-Demand Online at www.RapidlyRotatingRecords.com

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Gerard J. Fitzpatrick"
        <gfitzpatrick@...> wrote:

        > Although the Red Hot Jazz archive has many sound files for Irving
        > Aaronson's two groups, the Commanders and the Crusaders, it does not
        > appear that these groups have been released on CD (except for an
        > individual song here and there). Is this indeed the case? I'm surprised
        > that Timeless, Retrieval, Frog, or Jazz Oracle haven't produced a
        > collection. Does anyone know if such a set is in the works? Surely
        > Aaronson's versions of "Let's Misbehave," "Poor Papa," and "Hard to Get
        > Gertie," to name just a few, deserve wider circulation.
        >
        > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

      • Fitzpatrick, Gerard
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
          Glenn:

          Thanks for the tip. I was unaware of Crystal Stream Audio. There's quite a bit of material at their website that would be of interest to group members. I'm still curious, though, as to why the bigger labels have not yet released Aaronson's material.

          Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

          ________________________________

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> , "Gerard J. Fitzpatrick"
          <gfitzpatrick@...> wrote:

          > Although the Red Hot Jazz archive has many sound files for Irving
          > Aaronson's two groups, the Commanders and the Crusaders, it does not
          > appear that these groups have been released on CD (except for an
          > individual song here and there). Is this indeed the case? I'm surprised
          > that Timeless, Retrieval, Frog, or Jazz Oracle haven't produced a
          > collection. Does anyone know if such a set is in the works? Surely
          > Aaronson's versions of "Let's Misbehave," "Poor Papa," and "Hard to Get
          > Gertie," to name just a few, deserve wider circulation.
          >
          > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

        • vntager8io
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
            I am happy to report that an Irving Aaronson CD will be forthcoming from Rivermont
            Records early next year. The CD will include nearly all of the band's Victors. If there is
            sufficient interest, a second Aaronson with the later Vocalions and Columbias may also be
            in order.

            Bryan W.

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Gerard J. Fitzpatrick" <gfitzpatrick@...> wrote:

            > Although the Red Hot Jazz archive has many sound files for Irving
            > Aaronson's two groups, the Commanders and the Crusaders, it does not
            > appear that these groups have been released on CD (except for an
            > individual song here and there). Is this indeed the case? I'm surprised
            > that Timeless, Retrieval, Frog, or Jazz Oracle haven't produced a
            > collection. Does anyone know if such a set is in the works? Surely
            > Aaronson's versions of "Let's Misbehave," "Poor Papa," and "Hard to Get
            > Gertie," to name just a few, deserve wider circulation.
            >
            > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

          • Glenn Robison
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
              GREAT news, Bryan! Can't wait!

              Glenn

              vntager8io wrote:

              > I am happy to report that an Irving Aaronson CD will be forthcoming
              > from Rivermont
              > Records early next year. The CD will include nearly all of the band's
              > Victors. If there is
              > sufficient interest, a second Aaronson with the later Vocalions and
              > Columbias may also be
              > in order.
              >
              > Bryan W.

            • Fitzpatrick, Gerard
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
                Bryan:

                Thank you for the welcome news of your upcoming Aaronson release. Please accept my apologies for failing to include Rivermont in my earlier reference to Timeless Historical et al. I have very much enjoyed several of your fine productions. Speaking of which, whatever happened to the collection of Paul Whiteman's "The Virginians" that you indicated quite some time ago was in the works?

                Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

                ________________________________

                I am happy to report that an Irving Aaronson CD will be forthcoming from Rivermont
                Records early next year. The CD will include nearly all of the band's Victors. If there is
                sufficient interest, a second Aaronson with the later Vocalions and Columbias may also be
                in order.

                Bryan W.

                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> , "Gerard J. Fitzpatrick" <gfitzpatrick@...> wrote:

                > Although the Red Hot Jazz archive has many sound files for Irving
                > Aaronson's two groups, the Commanders and the Crusaders, it does not
                > appear that these groups have been released on CD (except for an
                > individual song here and there). Is this indeed the case? I'm surprised
                > that Timeless, Retrieval, Frog, or Jazz Oracle haven't produced a
                > collection. Does anyone know if such a set is in the works? Surely
                > Aaronson's versions of "Let's Misbehave," "Poor Papa," and "Hard to Get
                > Gertie," to name just a few, deserve wider circulation.
                >
                > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

              • vntager8io
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
                  Hi, Gerard.

                  No apologies needed. The Virginians disc is still very much "in production" as well (new
                  "ETA" is next summer). When I last reported on it, the idea for the Virginians disc was still
                  in its infancy -- it has taken longer than expected to secure E+ copies of the selections to
                  be included. Both the Virginians and Aaronson CDs have now progressed to the "transfers
                  and remastering" stage.

                  In the meantime, Rivermont's newest CD (Isham Jones and His Orchestra, BSW-1146) is
                  back from the pressing plant and is now available from Worlds Records or directly from
                  Rivermont:

                  http://www.rivermontrecords.com

                  Thanks!
                  Bryan W.

                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Fitzpatrick, Gerard" <gfitzpatrick@...> wrote:

                  > Bryan:
                  >
                  > Thank you for the welcome news of your upcoming Aaronson release. Please accept my
                  apologies for failing to include Rivermont in my earlier reference to Timeless Historical et
                  al. I have very much enjoyed several of your fine productions. Speaking of which, whatever
                  happened to the collection of Paul Whiteman's "The Virginians" that you indicated quite
                  some time ago was in the works?

                  > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
                  >
                  > ________________________________

                • Fitzpatrick, Gerard
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
                    Bryan:

                    If Rivermont Records needs a motto, may I suggest the old adage, "all good things come to those who wait"?

                    Gerard

                    ________________________________

                    No apologies needed. The Virginians disc is still very much "in production" as well (new
                    "ETA" is next summer). When I last reported on it, the idea for the Virginians disc was still
                    in its infancy -- it has taken longer than expected to secure E+ copies of the selections to
                    be included. Both the Virginians and Aaronson CDs have now progressed to the "transfers
                    and remastering" stage.

                    In the meantime, Rivermont's newest CD (Isham Jones and His Orchestra, BSW-1146) is
                    back from the pressing plant and is now available from Worlds Records or directly from
                    Rivermont:

                    http://www.rivermontrecords.com <http://www.rivermontrecords.com/>

                    Thanks!
                    Bryan W.

                    --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> , "Fitzpatrick, Gerard" <gfitzpatrick@...> wrote:

                    > Bryan:
                    >
                    > Thank you for the welcome news of your upcoming Aaronson release. Please accept my
                    apologies for failing to include Rivermont in my earlier reference to Timeless Historical et
                    al. I have very much enjoyed several of your fine productions. Speaking of which, whatever
                    happened to the collection of Paul Whiteman's "The Virginians" that you indicated quite
                    some time ago was in the works?

                    > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                  • Dan Van Landingham
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 8, 2008
                      I've a few Victor 78s over the years of Irving Aaronson's Commanders(the one that comes
                      to mind is "I'll Get By").Can anyone out there tell me about the Coon-Sanders Nighthawks.
                      I had a Victor 78 of their "Roodles".I found an RCA Vintage LP some years ago of a number
                      of their recordings.

                      I am happy to report that an Irving Aaronson CD will be forthcoming from Rivermont
                      Records early next year. The CD will include nearly all of the band's Victors. If there is
                      sufficient interest, a second Aaronson with the later Vocalions and Columbias may also be
                      in order.

                      Bryan W.

                      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, "Gerard J. Fitzpatrick" <gfitzpatrick@ ...> wrote:

                      > Although the Red Hot Jazz archive has many sound files for Irving
                      > Aaronson's two groups, the Commanders and the Crusaders, it does not
                      > appear that these groups have been released on CD (except for an
                      > individual song here and there). Is this indeed the case? I'm surprised
                      > that Timeless, Retrieval, Frog, or Jazz Oracle haven't produced a
                      > collection. Does anyone know if such a set is in the works? Surely
                      > Aaronson's versions of "Let's Misbehave," "Poor Papa," and "Hard to Get
                      > Gertie," to name just a few, deserve wider circulation.
                      >
                      > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

                    • Epistrophy
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 9, 2008
                        Coon-Sanders was a very successful band throughout the 1920s, and their recordings are pretty easily found on CD now. I like the Challenge Records collection, "The Best of Coon-Sanders: 1924-1932". Carleton Coon and Joe Sanders founded the band in 1919 and it lasted until about 1932 when Coon died. There's also a good book by Fred Edmiston called "The Coon-Sanders Nighthawks: The Band That Made Radio Famous".

                        - Todd

                      • David Weiner
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 10, 2008
                          All of Coon-Sanders recordings, including unissued tracks and recordings
                          made for radio, were issued a few years ago on four CDs from The Old
                          Masters.

                          Dave W.