Re: [RedHotJazz] I'm a new member so I will introduce myself ;-)

  • l.swain@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2008
      Angel:

      Welcome aboard!

      Thanks for the material on Fats and others.

      Hearing Fats records as a child in the 40s got me interested in playing the piano, which I do to this day, even occasionally getting paid as a backup pianist for a couple of trad jazz bands in the Boston area.

      Fats has always been a favorite of mine!

      Look forward to following the links you so thoughtfully provided.

      And to reading your future posts.

      Larry Swain
      From: "angelretrabajo" <angelretrabajo@...>

      > Hello everybody! This is my very first post here! ;-)
      >
      > First of all I would like to thank the administrator of this community
      > for my admission ;-)
      >
      > I'm a spanish enthusiast of Jazz music, I like early Jazz-times music
      > like swing. My name's Angel Rodriguez.
      >
      > I discovered the early Jazz music (perhaps "pre-Jazz music") through the
      > internet thanks to The Internet Archive. There I knew about Thomas
      > Wright "Fats" Waller (1904-1943) when I was looking for Glenn Miller
      > shows of the 1940's.
      >
      > It's a curious thing that many Jazz music enthusiasts don't know a word
      > about this man, perhaps the reason could be that he died very young (39
      > years old).
      >
      > By the way, there is a very interesting document about Thomas Wright
      > "Fats" Waller on the net:
      >
      > http://www.archive.org/details/kingsofjazzfatsw002215mbp
      > <http://www.archive.org/details/kingsofjazzfatsw002215mbp>
      >
      > "Kings of Jazz: Fats Waller" by Charles Fox. 1960. Language: English. I
      > strongly recommend this book to those of you interested in Fats Waller
      > and/or Art Tatum who was another Great Master of the stride piano
      > technic (As you know, Tatum was a friend of Thomas Waller).
      >
      > You can listen to an extraordinary live show of the late 1930's by
      > "Fats" here:
      >
      > http://www.archive.org/details/otr_bandremotes
      > <http://www.archive.org/details/otr_bandremotes>
      >
      > It's named "380706FatsWallerHoldMyHand.mp3", you can download it if you
      > want.
      >
      > This old radio show was the first sound of early Jazz (or pre-Jazz)
      > music I ever heard, and became the reason of my interest in this music.
      > It opened my ears to this sound.
      >
      > Another gold piece of "pre-Armstrong" song I like very much sound is
      > this song, "Who Cares", from the 192o's Band "Eddie Elkins Orchestra"
      >
      > http://www.archive.org/details/Eddie_Elkins_Orch-Who_Cares
      > <http://www.archive.org/details/Eddie_Elkins_Orch-Who_Cares>
      >
      > Eddie Elkins died in 1984 (Link
      > <http://www.network54.com/Forum/27140/message/1192111724/Eddie+Elkins%27\
      > s+s+Obituary+in+the+New+York+Times> ). He was 87 years old. But
      > although he recorded in the 1920's for an important Company (Columbia) I
      > am unable to found more recordings from this orchestra. However, there
      > are some videos of old 1930's pictures in Youtube (The Eddie Elkins
      > Orchestra with Telma White <http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=2iG-IPb-f9I>
      > ).
      >
      > And that's all for this first message. Thanks for reading this text and
      > I wish we will have a good friendship through the net! ;-)
      >
      > Have a nice day!
      >
      > Signed. Angel Rodriguez.

    • Bob Mates
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
        I just wanted to welcome Angel Rodriguez to the list. Thanks,
        Angel, for letting us know about the Internet Archive web site.
        Not only did I find the book about Fats Waller, but I also found
        books about King Oliver and Duke Ellington, along with a scan of
        MR. JELLY ROLL by Alan Lomax, and BIG BILL Blues, the
        autobiograpy of Big Bill Broonzy! (I'd been looking for both of
        those.) For those who didn't get it, the web site is:
        www.archive.org. It has a search engine. All you do is enter
        the thing you're looking for. There aren't a lot of books about
        jazz, but there are a few. There's also music, too. Have fun.
        Bob