I just uploaded a pic of Larry Shields taken in Los Angeles in 1920's

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1 11:04 PM
      I know the picture was taken in Los Angeles in the 1920's because
      Witzel was an LA photographer- I think this is an unpublished pic of
      Larry Shields because i have not seen it in any book- Anyone else here
      see this pic somewhere else?- Linda
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3 12:38 AM
        Hi Linda

        Thanks again for the pics. What have you and Hamp been reading on the table
        before you ?

        The Shields is fascinating, because, I can find no ref. anywhere, including
        Chilton, of him playing tenor. Chilton has him in 'California' but exact
        dates unspecified but implied mid 20s-early 30s. This looks like a publicity
        photo and it is eloquent that he chooses to be photographed with tenor. Also
        he does not appear with a band, suggesting he was a freelance ? Anymore pics
        ?

        Does anyone have any info. on his tenor playing ? Surely there is nothing on
        record. Net I find only rehashed Chilton. I guess with Whiteman he must have
        played in the sax. section. Anybody know why his spell with Whiteman was so
        brief ? Did he read ? Does anybody know the movies he is reported as
        having appeared in ?

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3 5:58 AM

          > Anybody know why his spell with Whiteman was so
          > brief ? Did he read ?

          Richard Sudhalter in his Grove entry on Shields says he was a non-reader,
          which answers both questions.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3 8:40 AM
            Thanks Howard. Do you have any info. on his tenor because I can find no
            refs. to it at all ? Also do you have any idea with what sort of bands he
            would have been playing on the coast ?

            Dave

            PS My Meeker, Ed.1 shows no entries for Shields, neither does Meeker online
            at Libary Of Congress.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 3 9:59 AM

              > Thanks Howard. Do you have any info. on his tenor because I can find no
              > refs. to it at all ? Also do you have any idea with what sort of bands he
              > would have been playing on the coast ?

              Sudhalter's article makes no mention of him playing anything other than
              clarinet, and fudges what his actual musical activities on the Coast were.
              Apparently he worked at the 400 Club and the Tent Cafe in the 1920s. There
              is an (unsigned) obituary in the February 1954 Record Changer whose author
              believed he had retired from music in 1937, after playing at Nick's for a
              time. The author also appears to have been familiar only with the 30s
              recordings, which is sobering.

              Someone should check H.O.Brunn's ODJB hagiography for references. I've no
              idea where my copy is, or even whether I still have it!

              > PS My Meeker, Ed.1 shows no entries for Shields, neither does Meeker online
              > at Libary Of Congress.

              The only film I can find any reference to is the ODJB's March of Time
              appearance (1936).

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3 10:38 AM

                > Thanks Howard. Do you have any info. on his tenor because I can find no
                > refs. to it at all ? Also do you have any idea with what sort of bands he
                > would have been playing on the coast ?
                >
                > Dave
                >
                > PS My Meeker, Ed.1 shows no entries for Shields, neither does Meeker online
                > at Libary Of Congress.

                Three more film appearances are listed in The Fabulous Fives, 1936 shorts
                called "It's On the Record" and "Jazz and Sand" (in which the ODJB plays
                Clarinet Marmalade), and an ODJB appearance in a 1917 film called "The Good
                For Nothing", which is of course silent!