ODJB Victor Timings

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
      Recent acquisition allows comparison CDs, JRT Timeless with RCA Bluebird,
      ODJB Victors. The latter, a scholarly issue, claims pitch rectification. JRT
      always did rectify as far as I know. However, only on 5 tracks are the
      timings similar. 8 have the RCA slower, 6 faster, both by from 1-3 secs. But
      4 tracks show a large disparity, with the RCA consistently around 10 sec
      faster, approx. a 5% speed differential. The tracks are Margie, Palesteena,
      Home Again Blues, Crazy Blues.

      My pitch is not good enough to make listening conclusive but the sound of
      Benny Krueger's alto does sound even nearer to sop. on these tracks than
      elsewhere, also the trombone is suspiciously high. So I reckon that JRT, as
      usual, got it right. I guess it is possible to check pitch electronically
      these days and how did JRT do it, still with his very good ear ?

      Generally, the Timeless is preferable, more detail, more top and bottom and
      I particularly note the startling presence of the bass drum on the earliest
      tracks, my floor shook and these are 1917 acoustics. Whatever happened to
      the notion that early drummers could not record their full kit ? The RCA
      also suffers the disadvantage of NoNoise although the underlying converted
      surface chunter is not as intrusive as in many issues. However,
      subjectively, the sound --the tone --of the instruments is fuller, richer ,
      more 'real' on the RCA, particularly noticeable on La Rocca's cornet, which
      never have I heard so impressively, and Shields clarinet. I guess this
      indicates that there are no definitive issues and that alternative versions
      of such seminal works are desirable.

      I cannot end without comment on the music. Generally extremely fine and
      worthy of far greater esteem than the critics of the post-war generation
      allowed. 'Margie', floating along at the slower JRT tempo is a particularly
      fine track in no way ,to me, demanding the 'listless ' label bestowed upon
      it by the renowned Max Harrison in 'Essential Jazz Records'-1.