Re: [RedHotJazz] Ernest "Sticky" Elliott

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2005
      on 1/7/05 13:35, sahfen at sahfen@... wrote:

      > What did clarinetist Ernest Elliott out of the studios?
      > I know these events:
      >
      > -born as Ernest Smith on March 1893 (where?)

      Boonville, MO, 23 February 1893 according to SSDI. (Most sources have
      Booneville but Grove is right that it is Boonville.)

      > -1919 begins playing in Detroit with Hank Duncan
      > -'20s in New York he plays with Johnny Dunn, Mamie Smith, Clara Smith and
      > Fletcher Henderson (dates?)
      > -30s in obscurity
      > -40s he plays in a trio with Cliff Jackson at the Astoria Hotel and with
      > Willie
      > "The Lion" Smith's Jazz Hounds
      > -late 40s end of his musical carrier with retirment.

      Grove says died New York City February 1977, citing SSDI as its source, but
      SSDI appears to say he died in April 1977. There may be an explanation for
      this discrepancy but it escapes me for the moment. Although my name appears
      on the Grove article, my files tell me I only did the citations!