[RedHotJazz]Fuller (was: Bennies Moten & Waters (was Re: Arville Harris, etc.),

  • John O
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2008
      Williams and Fuller are thought likely on George McClennon's Jazz
      Devils' OKeh 8143 (somewhat less so on 8150)...

      Fuller had imagination and a range of musical ideas, especially in his
      own groups: the many trios with Snowden an underappreciated niche (I
      often prefer these to contemporaneous O'Bryant trios). New Orleans
      Blue Five sides display prime Fuller... Also, the last Morris Hot
      Babies date (The Mess/The Chinch, 1926) proves him a wonderful altoist.

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>
      wrote:

      > Dave,
      >
      > Is there any evidence that there was any kind of animosity between
      Williams and Fuller? Fuller recorded with both Tom Morris and Buddy
      Christian, who belonged at least to a kind of extended Williams
      organisation. Tracks from both "camps" have sometimes been included in
      shared compilations (e.g. a Ristic/Bateau Chinois advertised for
      containing "The Skunk").