RE: [RedHotJazz]Fuller (was: Bennies Moten & Waters ( was Re: Arville Harris, etc.), into musicians and reco rding)

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2008
      Dave,

      Is there any evidence that there was any kind of animosity between Williams and Fuller? Fuller recorded with both Tom Morris and Buddy Christian, who belonged at least to a kind of extended Williams organisation. Tracks from both "camps" have sometimes been included in shared compilations (e.g. a Ristic/Bateau Chinois advertised for containing "The Skunk").

      Michael

      > Ostensibly, Fuller, with indeed Doddsian inflections, would be a
      > rather
      > unpolished 'Flo' candidate but seems to have been in an 'opposing'
      > musical
      > clique and never worked for Clarence.
      >
      > Dave

      "Hostage" mit Bruce Willis kostenlos anschauen!
      Exklusiv für alle WEB.DE Nutzer. http://www.blockbuster.web.de
    • John O
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2008
        Williams and Fuller are thought likely on George McClennon's Jazz
        Devils' OKeh 8143 (somewhat less so on 8150)...

        Fuller had imagination and a range of musical ideas, especially in his
        own groups: the many trios with Snowden an underappreciated niche (I
        often prefer these to contemporaneous O'Bryant trios). New Orleans
        Blue Five sides display prime Fuller... Also, the last Morris Hot
        Babies date (The Mess/The Chinch, 1926) proves him a wonderful altoist.

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>