RE: [RedHotJazz] Bennies Moten & Waters (was Re: Arvi lle Harris, etc.), into musicians and recording

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2008
      Dave, Yves,

      I've been away from home for a week, so no previous response. The clarinet on "Midnight Stomp" sounds very little like the playing on "Red Hot Flo", but, surprise, surprise, the personnel on the highly recommended Frog CD of the Williams QRS sides explicitly lists an unknown clarinet player for "Midnight Stomp" and Arville Harris on alto only. This is in opposition to the Lord, which has Harris on clarinet. Where the change comes from is not clear - there are no credits for the personnels, but the notes are by John Capes. Volume 2 has notes in the personnel listing where an "I" is mentioned - Capes or David French? I might have Capes' e-mail address somewhere.

      As for Flo, I like the idea of Jari, since Clarence was using him around the time and seems to be behind some of the "unknowns". He was no doubt a schooled musician, well capable of playing hot and maybe Clarence played him some sides by Dodds to show what he wanted. If the violin could be shown to be Abbey, this would make Jari more likley, since both were soon to depart for South America after playing together in the Bearcats. I'm afraid I haven't yet checked the samples of Abbey's playing mentioned by Yves in a previous post. If it is not Jari, I think he is an "unknown" - after all the candidates are not restricted to the clarinetists known to have recorded on other occasions. And yes, Fuller was capable of playing in quite a Dodds-like manner at times.

      Michael

      Jetzt neu! Sch├╝tzen Sie Ihren PC mit McAfee und WEB.DE. 30 Tage