RE: [RedHotJazz] Bennies Moten & Waters (was Re: Arville Harris, etc.)

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 30, 2008
      The Nichols analysis of 'New Down Home Blues' seems only to prove the
      clarinet solo could be any of the three reedmen.

      The only placement of Moten/Morton here is from Clarence -- not negligible I
      agree. Do we now read Moten as a misspelling of Clarence's Morton ? And from
      where do we get the Motton variant ? Surely extremely unusual for a musician
      to move so readily and so quickly between the major jazz centres of NYC,
      Chicago and W.Coast ? Union problems at least ? Which speaks for a
      conflated Moten/Morton.

      I have found in 1st ed. 'King Joe Oliver' a report that Bill Russell, no
      less, examined Clarence's files and noted that Harvey Boone appears
      somewhere on the QRSs. He could therefore be the third reedman doubling
      clt/alt on the first session.

      Going through the Hendersons I also cite the session of 27 Apr 1927 as
      offering traces of Dodds style. The Sept 1928 QRSs contain very fluent and
      fast clarinet work on 'St. Louis'. Both sessions in Rust as Arville. The
      Oct 1928 session was originally claimed in 'Joe King Oliver' to also be
      Moten but this was subsequently amended in Rust to (?)Whittet. It certainly
      sounds like another, even less impressive, player than Arville and not like
      'New Down Home Blues'.

      The Bells I have not complete but hear what you mean Yves.

      The Clarence clarinets seem to be a discographical mess and I could extend
      to the actual playing. I agree about the joy of Clarence but it was, after
      all, factory output and can vary disconcertingly even in one session. The
      weakest point is usually the clarinet playing.