Re: [RedHotJazz] Sitting on top

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1 4:39 AM
      You're right regarding the melody, but where are Henderson,Young and Lewis credited? On the label of the Clarence Williams recording?

      Best regards,

      > Checking out Clarence Willams' Jug Band I came across this, to my ears, little era.
      > As composers of "Sitting On Top Of The World" Henderson/Young/Lewis are credited. But to my ears Clarence Willams' Jug Band is playing that famous Armenter Chatmon / Walter Jacobs Vinson composition with the same title but completly different melodie. Anyone dis-agrees?
      >
      > Best
      > Wouter M.

    • David W. Littlefield
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1 6:39 AM
        At 12:08 PM 07/01/05 +0200, you wrote:
        >Checking out Clarence Willams' Jug Band I came across this, to my ears,
        >little era.
        >As composers of "Sitting On Top Of The World" Henderson/Young/Lewis are
        >credited. But to my ears Clarence Willams' Jug Band is playing that famous
        >Armenter Chatmon / Walter Jacobs Vinson composition with the same title but
        >completly different melodie. Anyone dis-agrees?
        >Wouter M.

        The correct title of the Henderson tune is
        "I'm sitting on top of the world"; Young and Lewis are the lyricists.

        So 2 different tunes...

        --Sheik
      • Wouter Maréchal
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1 7:19 AM
          A search at http://www.redhotjazz.com/search/ for 'Sitting On Top Of
          The World' by Lewis & Young resulted with a few 1925 recordings.

          I think it predates any Mississippi Sheiks recording.

          Yes, of course it predates the Mississippi Sheiks recording but it is also a different melody. For example Roger Wolfe Kahn and his Hotel Baltimore Orchestra has de subtitle 'Sitting On Top Of The World' Just rolling along - Just Rolling along, 1925 and is definitly another song.
          Wouter M.

        • Wouter Maréchal
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1 7:30 AM
            Michael Rader wrote:
            You're right regarding the melody, but where are Henderson,Young and Lewis
            credited? On the label of the Clarence Williams recording?

            See Redhotjazz website, Clarence Williams' Jug Band. Also the liner note
            discographical blur on the Classics reissue cd 832 Clarence Williams 1930-31
            track 11 Sitting On Top Of The World (Henderson Young Lewis) 404435-B
            09-09-30 bur this is the Mississippi Sheiks melody.
            The Henderson composition was as far as I could found out was first recorded
            by Al Jolson. The Mississippi Sheiks melody sounds much like Ida Cox's
            version of How Long Daddy How long with Papa Charlie Jackson in 1925.

            Cheers

            Wouter M.
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1 8:16 AM
              on 1/7/05 15:30, Wouter Maréchal at wouter.marechal@... wrote:

              > Michael Rader wrote:
              > You're right regarding the melody, but where are Henderson,Young and Lewis
              > credited? On the label of the Clarence Williams recording?
              >
              > See Redhotjazz website, Clarence Williams' Jug Band. Also the liner note
              > discographical blur on the Classics reissue cd 832 Clarence Williams 1930-31
              > track 11 Sitting On Top Of The World (Henderson Young Lewis) 404435-B
              > 09-09-30 bur this is the Mississippi Sheiks melody.
              > The Henderson composition was as far as I could found out was first recorded
              > by Al Jolson. The Mississippi Sheiks melody sounds much like Ida Cox's
              > version of How Long Daddy How long with Papa Charlie Jackson in 1925.

              The composer credits for matrix 404435 on OKeh 8826 are to Jacobs-Carter, so
              this is all a fuss about nothing. All that has happened is that some
              copyright society (presumably France's) has insisted that the composer
              royalties be paid to one of their members rather to someone they've never
              heard of. Classics had presumably never seen the 78 and didn't argue.

            • Scott Alexander
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1 6:27 PM
                Howard,
                I've changed the composer's credit on
                http://www.redhotjazz.com/cwjugband.html

                Thanks,
                Scott Alexander
                The Red Hot Jazz Archive
                www.redhotjazz.com

                Howard Rye wrote:

                >on 1/7/05 15:30, Wouter Maréchal at wouter.marechal@... wrote:
                >

                >>Michael Rader wrote:
                >>You're right regarding the melody, but where are Henderson,Young and Lewis
                >>credited? On the label of the Clarence Williams recording?
                >>
                >>See Redhotjazz website, Clarence Williams' Jug Band. Also the liner note
                >>discographical blur on the Classics reissue cd 832 Clarence Williams 1930-31
                >>track 11 Sitting On Top Of The World (Henderson Young Lewis) 404435-B
                >>09-09-30 bur this is the Mississippi Sheiks melody.
                >>The Henderson composition was as far as I could found out was first recorded
                >>by Al Jolson. The Mississippi Sheiks melody sounds much like Ida Cox's
                >>version of How Long Daddy How long with Papa Charlie Jackson in 1925.
                >>

                >The composer credits for matrix 404435 on OKeh 8826 are to Jacobs-Carter, so
                >this is all a fuss about nothing. All that has happened is that some
                >copyright society (presumably France's) has insisted that the composer
                >royalties be paid to one of their members rather to someone they've never
                >heard of. Classics had presumably never seen the 78 and didn't argue.
                >

                >Howard Rye, 20 Coppermill Lane, London, England, E17 7HB
                >howard@...
                >Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Wouter Maréchal
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2 2:26 AM
                  Thanks Howard for the correct info and thanks to Scott for the correction.
                  I don't think "Classics" will reprint their linernotes (grin).
                  Cheers
                  Wouter M.