AW: [RedHotJazz] The Sound of Louis

  • Rader, Michael
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2004
      Good afternoon, Jean Michel,

      No need to apologise for being French (;-)). There are far worse places to come from than Nice!

      I completely agree about the sound quality on the JSP being best. There have been complaints about the packaging of the far more expensive Sony set, although I have seen comments that prefer ist sound to the JSPs. The sound engineer, Harry Coster, is no slouch. In fact John RT Davies was selling at least one issue engineered by Coster on his web site, which was a sign of approval. The only disadvantage about the JSP is that it doesn't include the blues accompaniments. Unfortunately, the individual Sony CDs recently reissued from the 5 CD set don't either... In the past, I bought them on French CBS LPs, which I have since transferred to CDs, but it would be good to have them around in good sound.

      The first Sonys were interesting in that volumes 5 and 6 issued some alternate takes/non vocal masters which were discovered in the vaults. It's a pity that the sound on these is rather thin.

      You didn't mention the French Média 7 Masters of Jazz series which started a complete Louis Armstrong set. They seem to have ceased activities or do you (or Patrice) have any information?

      You also didn't mention the Chronogical (sic) Classics series which are very popular with some people and are also from France.

      Best regards,

      Michael Rader

      -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----