Re: Tracking down one of the rarest of all the great trumpet playing jazzmen

  • robertgreenwood_54uk
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
      The trumpeter Chris Kelly, of course, never recorded but both Kid
      Howard and Dede Pierce recorded versions of Careless Love where they
      give us some idea of how Kelly sounded by playing Kelly's famous
      trumpet part using the wa-wa mute.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
        Recent acquisition allows comparison CDs, JRT Timeless with RCA Bluebird,
        ODJB Victors. The latter, a scholarly issue, claims pitch rectification. JRT
        always did rectify as far as I know. However, only on 5 tracks are the
        timings similar. 8 have the RCA slower, 6 faster, both by from 1-3 secs. But
        4 tracks show a large disparity, with the RCA consistently around 10 sec
        faster, approx. a 5% speed differential. The tracks are Margie, Palesteena,
        Home Again Blues, Crazy Blues.

        My pitch is not good enough to make listening conclusive but the sound of
        Benny Krueger's alto does sound even nearer to sop. on these tracks than
        elsewhere, also the trombone is suspiciously high. So I reckon that JRT, as
        usual, got it right. I guess it is possible to check pitch electronically
        these days and how did JRT do it, still with his very good ear ?

        Generally, the Timeless is preferable, more detail, more top and bottom and
        I particularly note the startling presence of the bass drum on the earliest
        tracks, my floor shook and these are 1917 acoustics. Whatever happened to
        the notion that early drummers could not record their full kit ? The RCA
        also suffers the disadvantage of NoNoise although the underlying converted
        surface chunter is not as intrusive as in many issues. However,
        subjectively, the sound --the tone --of the instruments is fuller, richer ,
        more 'real' on the RCA, particularly noticeable on La Rocca's cornet, which
        never have I heard so impressively, and Shields clarinet. I guess this
        indicates that there are no definitive issues and that alternative versions
        of such seminal works are desirable.

        I cannot end without comment on the music. Generally extremely fine and
        worthy of far greater esteem than the critics of the post-war generation
        allowed. 'Margie', floating along at the slower JRT tempo is a particularly
        fine track in no way ,to me, demanding the 'listless ' label bestowed upon
        it by the renowned Max Harrison in 'Essential Jazz Records'-1.