Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Bennie Moten (was Jejo/Jari)

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 11, 2008
      This Bennie Moten seems to be a biographical blank. His name also appears as
      Motton and Morton (leading to a further confusion with the trombone player).

      He was touring with Joe Jordan¹s 10 Sharps & Flats in 1925-6, evidently came
      to New York City where he made the Williams recordings, wnet off again with
      Jordan in late- August 1926, was again in the East from about December 1926
      into Spring 1927, but was then in Chicago where he was a pallbearer at
      Ollie Powers¹s funeral (April 1928), on the West Coast (worked with Curtis
      Mosby & Sonny Clay) from June to August 1928, and is last reported in
      Detroit in April 1929, then silence.

      Detroit was his home because the Defender of 23 July 1927 refers to him
      making a visit home to Detroit.