Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Jejo/Jari

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 7, 2008
      Believe it or not, Carmelo Jari has a draft registration on file, done at
      San Juan, Puerto Rico on 5 July 1917. It is in Spanish.
      He is 22, born at Manati, PR, 16 July 1894, living at 12 Boulevard San Juan.
      He says he is a U.S. Citizen.
      His profession is ³Músico² and he is employed by the Ayuntamiento de San
      Juan.

      There is no doiubt this is our man (see the information from the Leon Abbey
      passenger list quoted below).

      He is still in San Juan in 1920, living in Calle San Sebastian, San Juan:
      Carmelo Jari y Nango, jefe, aged 26, mulatto, born Puerto Rico of Puerto
      Rican parents, is a ³músico, banda municipal². With him is his esposa,
      Justina Planes y Crespo, 24, and 7 year old Epifanio Nango y Figuerosa,
      primo (cousin).

      He was certainly in the U.S by August 1922, when he is a member of AFM Local
      802 reported (as Carmell Jari) in the International Musician as a traveling
      member by Local 16, Newark, NJ.

      I presume he is the Carmelo Jari aged 28 who arrived at New York City on 4
      July 1921 as 3rd cook on the S.S. San Juan. This man shipped in San Juan,
      PR, on 29 June 1921.

      So, annotate your reference books!

      Leon Abbey¹s band arrived back from Rio on the Southern Cross on 11 October
      1927. Carmelo Jari gives his date of birth as 16 July 1894, place of birth
      as Puerto Rico, and address as 116 East 116th Street, New York City. He is
      recorded as married. Other band members are: William H. Lynch, Leon A.
      Abbey, Earl Fraser, Prince Robinson, Phillip F. Blackburn, Joseph C.
      Garland, John N. Brown, Reidus Horton, Henry Edwards, Demas Dean. No doubt
      the extensive material on Abbey and Dean published in Storyville would shed
      more light on this trip and might even give a start date since Dean was a
      diary-keeper.

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 7, 2008
        Thanks, Howard, for the lead.

        There is an article on Abbey in "Storyville 73" by Ralph Gulliver which draws heavily on Dean, who say Jejo as good with the potential for greatness. He died of appendicitis.

        Rex Stewart quotes Harry Carney as a particular admirer of Jejo's (he also play baritone sax), although Demas Dean says Otto Mikell played the baritone sax solos and that Jejo was responsible for the clarinet. The Abbey band arrived in Rio de Janiero on 25 May 1927, which means that Jejo/Jari could have been on any of the Clarence Williams recordings before May 1927.

        Jejo was also in the band for Lew Leslie's Blackbirds of 1928. His section mates also had latin-American names - Albert Socarras and Raymond Or Ramon) Usera. The third member of the Bearcats reed section was tenor saxist/clarinetist Ramon Hernandez - which indicates a concentration of Caribbean reed players in New York in the 1920s.

        Michael Rader

        > Believe it or not, Carmelo Jari has a draft registration on file,
        > done at
        > San Juan, Puerto Rico on 5 July 1917. It is in Spanish.
        > He is 22, born at Manati, PR, 16 July 1894, living at 12 Boulevard
        > San Juan.
        > He says he is a U.S. Citizen.
        > His profession is ³Músico² and he is employed by the Ayuntamiento de
        > San
        > Juan.
        >
        > There is no doiubt this is our man (see the information from the
        > Leon Abbey
        > passenger list quoted below).
        >
        > He is still in San Juan in 1920, living in Calle San Sebastian, San
        > Juan:
        > Carmelo Jari y Nango, jefe, aged 26, mulatto, born Puerto Rico of
        > Puerto
        > Rican parents, is a ³músico, banda municipal². With him is his
        > esposa,
        > Justina Planes y Crespo, 24, and 7 year old Epifanio Nango y
        > Figuerosa,
        > primo (cousin).
        >
        > He was certainly in the U.S by August 1922, when he is a member of
        > AFM Local
        > 802 reported (as Carmell Jari) in the International Musician as a
        > traveling
        > member by Local 16, Newark, NJ.
        >
        > I presume he is the Carmelo Jari aged 28 who arrived at New York
        > City on 4
        > July 1921 as 3rd cook on the S.S. San Juan. This man shipped in San
        > Juan,
        > PR, on 29 June 1921.
        >
        > So, annotate your reference books!
        >
        > Leon Abbey¹s band arrived back from Rio on the Southern Cross on 11
        > October
        > 1927. Carmelo Jari gives his date of birth as 16 July 1894, place of
        > birth
        > as Puerto Rico, and address as 116 East 116th Street, New York City.
        > He is
        > recorded as married. Other band members are: William H. Lynch, Leon
        > A.
        > Abbey, Earl Fraser, Prince Robinson, Phillip F. Blackburn, Joseph C.
        > Garland, John N. Brown, Reidus Horton, Henry Edwards, Demas Dean. No
        > doubt
        > the extensive material on Abbey and Dean published in Storyville
        > would shed
        > more light on this trip and might even give a start date since Dean
        > was a
        > diary-keeper.

      • yves francois
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 7, 2008
          Michael, what I find interesting in all this is that Jari came back to the USA from South America in 11 October 1927, but was rarely used by Williams again (unless we want to count the LeRoy Tibbs session as a Williams offering, seeing that Waller and Todd have written the songs). The clarinet player IMHO on "Red Hot Flo" matches Tibbs "One O Clock Blues" (very similar note choices in the beginning of the solo), and that Arville Harris (who is noted to be on the Tibbs session) NEVER played anything else as good as whomever was the clarinet player on "One O Clock Blues" (and the other title has a mediocre solo very typical of Harris' 20's work, we can say better than Elliott).
          Re: Jari (aka Jejo): he played with one "Lucky Sambo" show (yikes, they were not always the good old days), run by Vaughn. Personell per drummer Jerome Bourke : Ray Conn (tp), Jimmy Archey (tmb), Carmello Jejo (clt), Jimmy Campbell (alto), Arthur Gibbs (pno, led a band in 1923 that rec for Victor BTW), Chick Johnson (bb) and Bourne (dms) (data in McCarthy's Big Band Jazz p 59 provided on an interview Bourke had with Mohr)
          Re: Bennie Moten a Bennie Motton is listed as the clarinet player on a Joe Jordan big band from 1926 in the same page of McCarthy's book, presume it to be Bennie Moten, who played clarinet and alto on some 1926 Clarence Wiiliams sessions (usually mid 1926, I believe moist sources pin Bennie for the Blue Grass Footwarmers' sessions, ex. Harmony 248, a really nice version of "Old Folks Shuffle" fine clarinet). Jari is usually listed for the first couple Williams sessions in 1927, before Leon Abbey went to South America. Both clarinet players are above the grade we usually find in NYC, though I am beginning to think (after hearing the Bearcats again) that Jari was actually a first rank player, good reader and a fine soloist on the clarinet, we may have our man for Flo (and "One O Clock Blues", he is in town and was possible able for the session), had he not died in 1929.
          One other bit, the LeRoy Tibbs 78 ("One O Clock Blues"/"I Got Worry" Columbia 14309), has a clarinet solo on One O Clock that matches somewhat the approach to Jari's work ands RHF, more interesting is that the clarinet on "I Got Worry" matches Arville Harris, but there is a baritone sax solo of some quality, could Jari be the third reed player on this session? The Tibbs band was one that LeRoy inherited because of Ollie Ross had a disagreement with the management on what drummer was to play in the band. One should note that Ollie Ross is identified with the Lew Leslie Blackbird revues, that Jari, Usera etc played with- and recorded 2 78's for Brunswick, one backing Adeline hall, the other instrumental). The instrumental 78 on Brunswick (issued so well on Harrison LP R) has a fantastic clarinet solo by Jari on "Bandana Babies", I think he may well be the same man as on Red Hot Flo and One O Clock Blues (but do not discount the possibilty of Moten, if
          he is the clarinet on Harmony 248. Like the Leslie band very much, BTW (the flip side has a nice unison clarinet section, but rather odd solos by Socrras on flute and Usera on tenor)
          Kudos to both Michael and Howard on this one, I am fascinated by all of this, thanks Yves

          BTW Michael, was it Jim Europe who searched for clarinet players from PR in the late teens for the marching band, because there were not proficient enough clarinet players in NYC in 1917, I seem to remember this, and I think the connections of Puerto Rico and Harlem goes back much further than salsa and Machito (indeed, one of the reedmen Howard mentioned from the Blackbirds band of 1928, Ramon Usera, is directly responsible for the arrangements on the Victor recordings of Daniel Santos, a superstar of proto salsa music), all the best

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 7, 2008
            Yves,

            First off, thanks for reminding me that the Lew Leslie sides are on
            the Harrison LP. I was racking my brain to remember where I had them
            yesterday evening. The two sides with Adelaide Hall I have on a
            Conifer LP engineered by John RT Davies (but also available elsewhere)
            and these have no passages with clarinet worth mentioning - in fact
            the accompaniment is rather unexciting compared with the Ellingtons
            coming before the Leslies.

            Now that you mention it, I also remember the information about Jim
            Europe. A quick check of the notes coming with the Memphis Archives
            Europe CD revealed that almost all of his reed players, except for one
            saxophonist, and several of the brass players have Spanish names, but
            also that none of them are really familiar. The reed players I
            mentioned all seem to have been from a kind of "second generation" who
            came to New York, possibly after Europe had paved the way.

            Now back to Jari, who seems to have been known as "Jejo" (a nickname?)
            for his US career. Demas Dean also describes him as the "fastest
            clarinet player in New York". I first encountered his name in
            connection with Fletcher Henderson, since he is listed in the
            personnel for one session in the "Study in Frustration" set. This
            identification apparently stems from Delaunay's 1938 discography, the
            source of which is unknown. There is no clarinet work on any of the
            titles from this session and doubts have since been expressed about
            Jari's presence. What is certain from evidence provided by Henderson
            Band members of the time is that Jari sometimes substituted for Buster
            Bailey.

            One of the references I found when Googling "Jejo" was a site on
            Rhumbas in Spanish where Jejo's name is mentioned next to Nilo
            Menendez' - there is a single side by him issued as a maverick New
            Orleans-sounding side on one of the early Jazum LPs.

            The voyage from New York to South America took twelve days which were
            used by Abbey to rehearse the band. Early May recordings would thus be
            possible.

            The frustrating thing about Williams is that he is said to have kept a
            record of the musicians used in his recording sessions in his fabulous
            "little black books", which were either destroyed or stolen in the
            1950s. This means that virtually all identifications, apart from the
            obvious, come from collectors, sometimes with information from Eva
            Taylor and other musicians involved in the sessions. Virtually all of
            the clarinet playing in the 1926-1928 period is based on opinion
            rather than firm knowledge. This means that Williams could have used
            Jari after his return from South America.

            Given what Demas Dean says about Jari, he seems to have been a
            formidable talent - it would be interesting to see what others who
            heard him said about him. His comparative neglect in discussions on
            unidentified clarinet players could be due to the fact that only one
            side by the Savoy Bearcats was reissued in the 50s/60s. As far as I
            can tell, the first reissues were a Jazum LP and a comprehensive
            reissue in the French Black and White series by RCA.

            If Jari was regarded as a kind of star, it is quite possible that
            Tibbs would have added him for the session and I agree about the
            similarity of the solos on "One O'Clock Blues" and "Red Hot Flo". In
            light of what you say about the origins of Tibbs' Band it would be
            intersting to know the source of the personnel listing for the
            recording session - a newspaper, session log?

            Regarding the baritone sax, Jari is usually listed as playing this
            with the Bearcats, but Demas Dean says the baritone soli are by Gene
            Mikell, who moved over to Fess Williams when Abbey took his band to
            South America. The playing is certainly consistent with the playing
            for Williams, at least on some of the sides - I haven't checked the
            Bearcats baritone work to see if it is all the same man. It might also
            make sense to check photos - there is one of the Abbey band in
            Storyville, but this was too dark for me to examine last night.

            Moten I would have to check on the Joe Jordan, although this would be
            rather thin evidence, since the recording quality isn't nearly as good
            as Victor on the Bearcats. I guess it's back to the reference books to
            find confirmed, exposed Moten.

            Otherwise, I agree that Jari seems to have been a top-rank clarinet
            player, who virtually disappeared into oblivion following an early
            death. Others with a similar fate became legends...

            All the best

            Michael
          • Dan Van Landingham
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 10, 2008
              I take it that the Bennie Moten you mentioned regarding Carmello Jejo was NOT the Bennie
              Moten who worked in Kansas City in the '20s until his death in 1935 following a tonsillecto-
              my on a pool table in Kansas City.The Bennie Moten I know of did make a couple of trips
              to Camden,New Jersey to record for RCA in 1932.

> [...]

              > > birth
              > > as Puerto Rico, and address as 116 East 116th Street,
              > New York City.
              > > He is
              > > recorded as married. Other band members are: William
              > H. Lynch, Leon
              > > A.
              > > Abbey, Earl Fraser, Prince Robinson, Phillip F.
              > Blackburn, Joseph C.
              > > Garland, John N. Brown, Reidus Horton, Henry Edwards,
              > Demas Dean. No
              > > doubt
              > > the extensive material on Abbey and Dean published in
              > Storyville
              > > would shed
              > > more light on this trip and might even give a start
              > date since Dean
              > > was a
              > > diary-keeper.

              > Der WEB.DE SmartSurfer hilft bis zu 70% Ihrer Onlinekosten

            • uli
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 10, 2008
                No, not THE Bandleander Moten. They are talking ´bout an
                clarinetplayer who only recorded in the mid 1920´s, mostly with
                Clarence Williams Groups.
                Really nothing to do with the pianoplayer and bandleader of
                Kansas!!
                Good start with the new week!
                Uli
                Dan Van Landingham <danvanlandingham@...> wrote:

                > I take it that the Bennie Moten you mentioned regarding Carmello
                Jejo was NOT the Bennie
                > Moten who worked in Kansas City in the '20s until his death in 1935
                following a tonsillecto-
                > my on a pool table in Kansas City.The Bennie Moten I know of did
                make a couple of trips
                > to Camden,New Jersey to record for RCA in 1932.

                Taking of Ramon Usera:
                he made recordings with all the Noble Sissle Bands between 1929 to
                1924. Sissle made an shortie to the British Pathe , Jan. 1930.
                According to the list of Bandmembers by the Sissle Band, Usera is with
                the Pathefilm (the film is on youtube).

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiTHBP3NP08

                Also with this Band is Arthur Briggs on tp., a star of his own in
                Europe of the 20´s.

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 11, 2008
                  This Bennie Moten seems to be a biographical blank. His name also appears as
                  Motton and Morton (leading to a further confusion with the trombone player).

                  He was touring with Joe Jordan¹s 10 Sharps & Flats in 1925-6, evidently came
                  to New York City where he made the Williams recordings, wnet off again with
                  Jordan in late- August 1926, was again in the East from about December 1926
                  into Spring 1927, but was then in Chicago where he was a pallbearer at
                  Ollie Powers¹s funeral (April 1928), on the West Coast (worked with Curtis
                  Mosby & Sonny Clay) from June to August 1928, and is last reported in
                  Detroit in April 1929, then silence.

                  Detroit was his home because the Defender of 23 July 1927 refers to him
                  making a visit home to Detroit.