Re: gus arnheim video 1929 - Ray Lopez mute

  • uli
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 6, 2008
      Dear Gilbert,

      for these records you may look at the Chris barber collection
      No.CBC1059 - Abe Lyman & his California Orchestra TIMELESS HISTORICAL
      » CBC1059

      "Shake that thing" you may find also at Youtube, search Abe Lyman.

      I also read the story why LaRocca had become the cornet-player with
      the ODJB. :)
      But Ray Lopez is in many ways not better than LaRocca as a
      "Story-teller".
      Bouth claimed to involved jazz, or better took it to a broader
      audience of dancing people, bouth claimed to changed the New Orleans
      way of playing for the dancing folk outside of NO. Lopez in Chicago
      and LaRocca in New York. LaRocca sayed he involved (the music) Jazz,
      Lopez sayed he involved the word jazz (for the music - with the help
      from other resources.)

      LaRocca didn´t getting mad of telling that he and the ODJB devised
      Jazz (with the help from others, for example Horst H. Lange), and
      Lopez didn´t say "NO" then he was called and billed as "Mr. Jazz himself".
      Both are from the same generation, born 1889. Very proud of that they
      are doing.

      LaRocca recorded from 1917 till (privat) near the end of his life, but
      definitively to the 30´s, more than over a 100´s of sides.
      Lopez only 1922 to c.1929. Sadly only with (society) Dance Bands.
      (But with Lyman some really hot sides!!)

      Both knew each other, but didn´t like each other very much, - LaRocca
      had an much more better sense for business.He "Did it", but
      Lopez missed the opportunity. And yes, only to myself, I think that
      Lopez is the better and "hotter" cornetist of both.
      And one of the earliest to record hot solos with a mute and wa-wa effects.
      Uli

      > <<Sorry with my english---Uli>>
      > Your English is fine. I haven't heard those Lyman sides and will be
      looking for them. Incidentally, Richard M. Sudhalter's LOST CHORDS has
      a picture of Tom Brown's band in New York 1915 after they left
      Chicago. Bill Lambert, Tom Brown, Larry Shields, Ray Lopez, and Deacon
      Loyocano. Ray has a mute in his cornet.
      > According to Sudhalter, Johnny Stein's band in Chicago in 1916
      needed a cornet player, so Stein asked Eddie Edwards to find one back
      home in New Orleans. All of Edwards' first choices declined, so he
      finaly asked Nick LaRocca to come. Ray Lopez later asked Edwards why
      he had picked LaRocca when there were so many better cornet players in
      New Orleans, like Frank Christian or Joe Lala, and Edwards said it was
      because Nick had the money to pay for the musician's trip to Chicago...

      8/5/2008 6:03 AM