Re: recent King Oliver CDs from Frog

  • Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2008
      Michael:

      I had a feeling you'd come to my rescue, as you have so often in the
      past. I think I know what you mean about the aural differences
      between John Davies' work and that of Ted Kendall. In the same vein,
      I prefer the sound of some of the cuts on Davies' mastering of
      Oliver's Creole Jazz Band on Retrieval to the versions mastered by
      Doug Benson on the newer Archeophone release. But, then, some of
      Benson's handiwork sounds better to me than that of Davies (I realize
      that in many cases Benson had better source material). In any event,
      the overall improvement in sound quality along with the wonderful
      packaging of the Archeophone set more than justifies the duplication.
      I suspect the same would be true with purchasing the Oliver Frogs.
      Besides, one can never have too much King Oliver.

      Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>
      wrote:

      > Gerard
      >
      > I must admit I've never heard the Frogs of the Victors, but I did
      ask Paul Swinton about them when they were released. Paul said that
      several people beside himself thought they were in the best sound
      ever, but cautioned that the alleged alternate take which the Frogs
      have over what is on the JSPs was doubtful. So in this case it
      depends on how well you like Ted Kendall's transfers in comparison
      with John RT Davies'. IMO they are sometimes cleaner sounding, but I
      also sometimes detect an "edge" and in a direct comparison, I
      personally prefer Davies' work - there are samples enough where
      restorations by both are available.

      > So much the same applies to the Clarence Williams, *but* this has
      the great benefit of the Sippie Wallace sesion, which is a classics
      and has never been issued on CD in decent sound.

      > The alternate Victors missing on the two Oliver volumes are
      incidentally scheduled for issue on a compilation CD tying up loose
      ends (the Olivers, Tom Morris, Earl Hines),

      > I hope this helps.
      >
      > Michael Rader
      >

      > > Can anyone tell me how the 2 recent Frog cd's of King Oliver's
      Victor
      > > recordings differ from the earlier 2-CD release of this material
      by
      > > JSP? I have the JSP set, which was mastered by John R.T. Davies.
      His
      > > name is listed by allmusic.com for "transfers" on the 2 Frogs
      but
      > > Ted
      > > Kendall is listed for "remastering." Is there much difference in
      > > sound
      > > quality? Similarly, how does Frog's "King Oliver: Blues Singers
      and
      > > Hot
      > > Bands on Okeh, 1924-1929" differ from earlier releases of this
      > > material
      > > on JSP's 4-CD Lang-Venuti collection or the 3 CD's of Clarence
      > > Williams's material by Collectors Classics? Many thanks.
      > >
      > > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

      ___
      > In 5 Schritten zur eigenen Homepage. Jetzt Domain sichern und
      gestalten!
      > Nur 3,99 EUR/Monat! http://www.maildomain.web.de/?mc=021114

    • Dan Van Landingham
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2008
        I had read some time ago that John R.T. Davies had  died.What was the cause of his death.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2008
          Dan:

          The cause was cancer. Of the many obituaries available, this one from
          the Telegraph is especially interesting:

          http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1462803/John-R-T-
          Davies.html

          Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Dan Van Landingham