recent King Oliver CDs from Frog

  • Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2008
      Can anyone tell me how the 2 recent Frog cd's of King Oliver's Victor
      recordings differ from the earlier 2-CD release of this material by
      JSP? I have the JSP set, which was mastered by John R.T. Davies. His
      name is listed by allmusic.com for "transfers" on the 2 Frogs but Ted
      Kendall is listed for "remastering." Is there much difference in sound
      quality? Similarly, how does Frog's "King Oliver: Blues Singers and Hot
      Bands on Okeh, 1924-1929" differ from earlier releases of this material
      on JSP's 4-CD Lang-Venuti collection or the 3 CD's of Clarence
      Williams's material by Collectors Classics? Many thanks.

      Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2008
        Gerard

        I must admit I've never heard the Frogs of the Victors, but I did ask Paul Swinton about them when they were released. Paul said that several people beside himself thought they were in the best sound ever, but cautioned that the alleged alternate take which the Frogs have over what is on the JSPs was doubtful. So in this case it depends on how well you like Ted Kendall's transfers in comparison with John RT Davies'. IMO they are sometimes cleaner sounding, but I also sometimes detect an "edge" and in a direct comparison, I personally prefer Davies' work - there are samples enough where restorations by both are available.

        So much the same applies to the Clarence Williams, *but* this has the great benefit of the Sippie Wallace sesion, which is a classics and has never been issued on CD in decent sound.

        The alternate Victors missing on the two Oliver volumes are incidentally scheduled for issue on a compilation CD tying up loose ends (the Olivers, Tom Morris, Earl Hines),

        I hope this helps.

        Michael Rader

        > Can anyone tell me how the 2 recent Frog cd's of King Oliver's Victor
        > recordings differ from the earlier 2-CD release of this material by
        > JSP? I have the JSP set, which was mastered by John R.T. Davies. His
        > name is listed by allmusic.com for "transfers" on the 2 Frogs but
        > Ted
        > Kendall is listed for "remastering." Is there much difference in
        > sound
        > quality? Similarly, how does Frog's "King Oliver: Blues Singers and
        > Hot
        > Bands on Okeh, 1924-1929" differ from earlier releases of this
        > material
        > on JSP's 4-CD Lang-Venuti collection or the 3 CD's of Clarence
        > Williams's material by Collectors Classics? Many thanks.
        >
        > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

        In 5 Schritten zur eigenen Homepage. Jetzt Domain sichern und gestalten!
        Nur 3,99 EUR/Monat! http://www.maildomain.web.de/?mc=021114
      • Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2008
          Michael:

          I had a feeling you'd come to my rescue, as you have so often in the
          past. I think I know what you mean about the aural differences
          between John Davies' work and that of Ted Kendall. In the same vein,
          I prefer the sound of some of the cuts on Davies' mastering of
          Oliver's Creole Jazz Band on Retrieval to the versions mastered by
          Doug Benson on the newer Archeophone release. But, then, some of
          Benson's handiwork sounds better to me than that of Davies (I realize
          that in many cases Benson had better source material). In any event,
          the overall improvement in sound quality along with the wonderful
          packaging of the Archeophone set more than justifies the duplication.
          I suspect the same would be true with purchasing the Oliver Frogs.
          Besides, one can never have too much King Oliver.

          Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>
          wrote:

          > Gerard
          >
          > I must admit I've never heard the Frogs of the Victors, but I did
          ask Paul Swinton about them when they were released. Paul said that
          several people beside himself thought they were in the best sound
          ever, but cautioned that the alleged alternate take which the Frogs
          have over what is on the JSPs was doubtful. So in this case it
          depends on how well you like Ted Kendall's transfers in comparison
          with John RT Davies'. IMO they are sometimes cleaner sounding, but I
          also sometimes detect an "edge" and in a direct comparison, I
          personally prefer Davies' work - there are samples enough where
          restorations by both are available.

          > So much the same applies to the Clarence Williams, *but* this has
          the great benefit of the Sippie Wallace sesion, which is a classics
          and has never been issued on CD in decent sound.

          > The alternate Victors missing on the two Oliver volumes are
          incidentally scheduled for issue on a compilation CD tying up loose
          ends (the Olivers, Tom Morris, Earl Hines),

          > I hope this helps.
          >
          > Michael Rader
          >

          > > Can anyone tell me how the 2 recent Frog cd's of King Oliver's
          Victor
          > > recordings differ from the earlier 2-CD release of this material
          by
          > > JSP? I have the JSP set, which was mastered by John R.T. Davies.
          His
          > > name is listed by allmusic.com for "transfers" on the 2 Frogs
          but
          > > Ted
          > > Kendall is listed for "remastering." Is there much difference in
          > > sound
          > > quality? Similarly, how does Frog's "King Oliver: Blues Singers
          and
          > > Hot
          > > Bands on Okeh, 1924-1929" differ from earlier releases of this
          > > material
          > > on JSP's 4-CD Lang-Venuti collection or the 3 CD's of Clarence
          > > Williams's material by Collectors Classics? Many thanks.
          > >
          > > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

          ___
          > In 5 Schritten zur eigenen Homepage. Jetzt Domain sichern und
          gestalten!
          > Nur 3,99 EUR/Monat! http://www.maildomain.web.de/?mc=021114

        • Dan Van Landingham
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2008
            I had read some time ago that John R.T. Davies had  died.What was the cause of his death.

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5, 2008
              Dan:

              The cause was cancer. Of the many obituaries available, this one from
              the Telegraph is especially interesting:

              http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1462803/John-R-T-
              Davies.html

              Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Dan Van Landingham