Tracking down one of the rarest of all the great trumpet playing jazzmen

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
      One of the greatest New Orleans trumpet players was bluesman Chris
      Kelly- He is one of the rarest jazzmen too because he made no
      recordings and no one has even found a photo of him- I just uploaded a
      pic to the "photos" section of the 1st photographic evidence of Kelly-
      a pic of his grave in New Orleans- Linda
    • robertgreenwood_54uk
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
        The trumpeter Chris Kelly, of course, never recorded but both Kid
        Howard and Dede Pierce recorded versions of Careless Love where they
        give us some idea of how Kelly sounded by playing Kelly's famous
        trumpet part using the wa-wa mute.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
          Recent acquisition allows comparison CDs, JRT Timeless with RCA Bluebird,
          ODJB Victors. The latter, a scholarly issue, claims pitch rectification. JRT
          always did rectify as far as I know. However, only on 5 tracks are the
          timings similar. 8 have the RCA slower, 6 faster, both by from 1-3 secs. But
          4 tracks show a large disparity, with the RCA consistently around 10 sec
          faster, approx. a 5% speed differential. The tracks are Margie, Palesteena,
          Home Again Blues, Crazy Blues.

          My pitch is not good enough to make listening conclusive but the sound of
          Benny Krueger's alto does sound even nearer to sop. on these tracks than
          elsewhere, also the trombone is suspiciously high. So I reckon that JRT, as
          usual, got it right. I guess it is possible to check pitch electronically
          these days and how did JRT do it, still with his very good ear ?

          Generally, the Timeless is preferable, more detail, more top and bottom and
          I particularly note the startling presence of the bass drum on the earliest
          tracks, my floor shook and these are 1917 acoustics. Whatever happened to
          the notion that early drummers could not record their full kit ? The RCA
          also suffers the disadvantage of NoNoise although the underlying converted
          surface chunter is not as intrusive as in many issues. However,
          subjectively, the sound --the tone --of the instruments is fuller, richer ,
          more 'real' on the RCA, particularly noticeable on La Rocca's cornet, which
          never have I heard so impressively, and Shields clarinet. I guess this
          indicates that there are no definitive issues and that alternative versions
          of such seminal works are desirable.

          I cannot end without comment on the music. Generally extremely fine and
          worthy of far greater esteem than the critics of the post-war generation
          allowed. 'Margie', floating along at the slower JRT tempo is a particularly
          fine track in no way ,to me, demanding the 'listless ' label bestowed upon
          it by the renowned Max Harrison in 'Essential Jazz Records'-1.