Everett Hoagland and Benny Strickler

  • silverleafjb
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2 11:45 AM
      Seems to me I recall that cornetist/trumpeter Benny Strickler, who
      played with Bob Wills' band and the WWII-era Yerba Buena JB, played
      with Everett Hoagland. This would dovetail with the info already
      presented about Hoagland since Strickler was in the LA area from the
      mid-1930s until he went with Wills in 1940 (as I recall).

      Cheers,
      Chris Tyle
    • Dan Van Landingham
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2 2:51 PM
        I knew Benny Stricker from John Chilton's Who's Who of Jazz.He died in the early to mid
        '40s of tuberculosis in Arkansas.Aside from that,I know nothing about him.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 21 11:36 PM
          Strickler died in Fayetteville, Arkansas, Dec. 8, 1946. He can be
          heard fronting the wartime version of the Yerba Buena Jazz Band in
          1942 on broadcasts from the Dawn Club, which are available on a box CD
          set on Good Time Jazz. He can also be heard with Bob Wills' band, and
          on some transcriptions recording by Segar Ellis' Choirs of Brass.

          Cheers,
          Chris Tyle

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Dan Van Landingham