Re: Oliver Bibbs

  • sahfen
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 30, 2005
      This is what I've found about Sir Oliver Bibbs in these days.
      As says Howard in February 1930 he accompanied Billie & Mary Mack in the
      travelling show "Pickings From Dixie". Years later he was in Chicago with an
      orchestra of his own, that, at the end of the 30s, was at the Savoy Ballroom.
      From Januart 1940 circa he was on tour in the southern states and, in 1946,
      he had gigs at the Club Silhouette at the Garrick Club of Chicago and at the
      Club Rio and the Martin's Club of Springfield. In the same year he visited Des
      Moines, Iowa.

      Nicola
    • Arthur LA hOTE
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 14, 2005
        A Big Thank you to you all for letting me in the
        "Group" I have been into l920[s and early 1930's music for years, guess it was my grandparents old Victorla that did it. I have mostly er-isues now on C/D but still paly my old Brunswich player upon ocassions. Have Radio Dismuke on all day on Radio 365. Art

      • Ian
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 10, 2012
          Hi all - thanks for accepting my application for membership. Sadly, I'm not going to be contributing much here as the content is way, way out of my league.

          I'm digitising my collection of home-made cassette compilations and looking for more information re.dates & personnel inevitably led me to the website - where I found much cleaner copies of some of those tracks, so thanks also to the guy who originally set that up. Of course that lead me to all kinds of music/people I didn't know - and reading through some recent posts I've already found more. I have a feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of money I can't justify on stuff I've spent many years happily oblivious of. (not sure about the grammar in that last sentence)

          Ian
        • Andrew Taylor
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 11, 2012
            Hi Ian,
            If you have a good Internet connection, Youtube has a lot of material
            and pandora.com is pretty good for exploring similar kinds of music. As
            you say, buying music can be pretty expensive.
            Pandora actually has a cell phone "app" if you have one.
            Best regards,
            Andrew Taylor

            --
            Andrew Taylor, MLS
            Co-Curator, Visual Resources

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 11, 2012
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 11, 2012
                Hi, Ian,

                Not sure if it is your thing.. pop over to Live365 and there are plenty of
                Jazz on it... try Weimar Rundfunk station...

                As Ian had said... Youtube is a good place to find unknown who's who of
                those jazz years...

                ta

                Alex of Bournemouth, Dorset
                >> If you have a good Internet connection, Youtube has a lot of material
                >> and pandora.com is pretty good for exploring similar kinds of music.
                > (...)
                >
                > Probably...
                >
                > "Dear Pandora Visitor,
                > We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we
                > can
                > no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the
                > U.S."
                >
                > :(
                >
                > P.

              • stevenabrams78jazz
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 13, 2012
                  FOR INFO ON DATES AND CATALOG NUMBERS
                  WWW.78DISCOGRAPHY.COM

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 14, 2012
                    Wow Steven - thanks for that. It's already given me a partial solution to one track I've spent ages googling without success.

                    Judging on the past few days, I have a feeling I'm never actually going to make it to 1930!